Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Announcements
 Fixed The Forum!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aaron Cake Posted - Aug 16 2009 : 10:48:43 AM
Those visiting the forum over the past day probably noticed something odd; all the posts were gone. I discovered this Sunday morning. Oddly, the database had doubled in size sometime on Saturday and all the topics were gone. I don't quite know what happened. It was either a software glitch or someone has found a vulnerability in Snitz forums (likely SQL injection) and used it do "DELETE * FROM TOPICS" as a joke.

I'm going to check the Snitz site for any security issues that may be unpatched. Additionally I will be going through the logfiles to try and determine exactly what/when this happened.

I think it's good practice to change your password. The passwords are encrypted and only a hash stored in the database so there is no danger of your password being exposed, but it is good practice anyway to change it after something like this.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wasssup1990 Posted - Aug 20 2009 : 10:14:52 AM
Ok that's good. You have a good setup Aaron.
Aaron Cake Posted - Aug 20 2009 : 09:15:10 AM
I wouldn't discount EMP. In my shop, the Bluetooth adapter on the PC would reset every time I started TIG welding. It was a real pain in the butt. I replaced the adapter (which was only used to stream music) with a Blackberry Bluetooth Audio Gateway and the problem went away. But the monitor still acts funny anytime the welder is in use.

The chances of the DB becoming corrupt are pretty small. This is the first time it has ever happened spontaneously. The losses from a total DB failure would be minimal. The forum DB is separate from the site's main DB and both are backed up every day to tape.
wasssup1990 Posted - Aug 19 2009 : 11:16:24 PM
What are the chances of that happening? I don't think it has happened since I've been on this forum. Could be a corrupt code segment or corrupt memory or someone produced an EMP. That last one is very likely. I remember when I was doing a high power (very dangerous) experiment and my computer hard drives reset, the mouse went berserk, strange sounds from the speakers and eventually my computer reset.
Aaron Cake Posted - Aug 19 2009 : 10:20:34 AM
I don't know what caused the problem. As far as I can tell, it was a software glitch on the forum. Something got stuck in an infinite loop which hosed the database (and made hundreds of thousands of posts).
wasssup1990 Posted - Aug 16 2009 : 10:55:41 AM
Yeah I noticed that. I made a topic and then it vanished. I changed my password immediately.

I'm making my own website right now and I'm looking at, and debugging the source code of this website to see how it works.

Not much to show right now other than some fancy javascript magic that I've done.
http://cyberdyne.vndv.com/

Hover your mouse over the left and right cells at the bottom of the page.

P.S.
Oh and by the way, I didn't screw with your website Aaron.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000