Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Projects/Inventions
 Vehicles
 Early Project Ideas

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vaironl Posted - May 11 2014 : 2:54:51 PM
Hey Everyone,

I’d hate to be one of those kids, but I wanted to ask a couple of basic question to those who have turbocharged or gone through a similar process with their cars. This is definitely not something I’m doing, but I keep thinking this will be one of my first goals after finishing college.

So as very few of you might know I drive a Toyota Yaris and it’s a dream to turbo or supercharge it. I really think it’s fun to tinker with my car, and this is a big want. I’m in a forum that’s for Yaris owners which already has a rich amount of information, so I’m not asking for anything related to installations, but I do wonder besides being prepared to remove a bunch of stuff around, learning about all of the tuning aspects of the project, and managing the frustration throughout the process, what other things are really required?
I was thinking that I must definitely have another car in case things go to wrong, know someone near me that might help me out, and have a garage. I just can’t image how someone with a limited budget would do without these.

If I’m not incorrect, Mr. Aaron himself took a long time doing the FC build. So I guess that means having a second car (the insight), the garage in case of bad weather and theft, and the friend could be an extra hand or salvation.

Did I miss something? Any suggestions?

Now I’d say it might be 2-4 years before I can do this, but early preparation is not bad. I’ve already started to compile different tutorials from the forums and read a bit about it every couple of weeks.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
vaironl Posted - May 12 2014 : 7:09:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Cake

This is an excellent question and one that I've been meaning to do a writeup on called "How To Have A Project Car" or something to that effect.

It's great to hear a response from you yourself, Mr. Aaron.

Sadly my case requires time and patience as I have none of the requirements at the moment, but time will bring good things. I hope that in two or three years I remember to post the progress and if I did this or not. I would love to begin the project ASAP, but I really don’t want to take the bus to my job .
Aaron Cake Posted - May 12 2014 : 10:26:32 AM
This is an excellent question and one that I've been meaning to do a writeup on called "How To Have A Project Car" or something to that effect.

I'll add more to this post if I can think of it but for now, you are correct in both your assumptions.

If you intend to do anything but basic repairs/upgrades, then a 2nd vehicle is required. Without one you are always working under the looming deadline of "How am I going to get to work on Monday?". This leads to poor decisions, stop-gap measures and rushed work. And it's best if that 2nd vehicle is something you don't need to think about, isn't breaking down and may even be under warranty from a competent dealer. Few things are as annoying as stopping a long term project to fix the damn daily driver, and the feeling that you have two (or more!) broken vehicles.

Same with a garage. Some sort of shelter is necessary unless you want to be totally dependent on the weather. When I built the RX-7 the garage was big enough for the car, and that's about it. Which still meant that for the most part I was stuck in the driveway for things like fabrication. And the garage being unheated, work in the winter was limited as well. So having a heated garage is a huge bonus. Having a garage big enough to fit both the car and you, as well as a work bench, is best.

Order your parts well in advance of the work. That way it's there waiting for you and if something else isn't going as planned or needs parts you don't have, you can move on and work on something constructive. This also avoids the stop-gap measures of making things fit. For example, trying to weld two fittings together instead of ordering the correct fitting...even though the car isn't going to move for 6 months and you could always be doing something else.

Which leads me to...Don't have the "Must get it done now!" attitude. If something isn't working, or the parts aren't available, move on. There's no point fighting something on a long term project when you could be working on something else. Then when the parts have arrived next week, go back to it.

Look multiple steps into the future. If you are positioning something, think about what has to connect to it and where other components may be. One can easily, say, fit a water to air intercooler between the front of the engine and cooling fan, then build piping and brackets. Then realize that there isn't enough room for the water fittings. In a situation like that it's best to just go backwards and start again. Don't get the "git er done" attitude and think "Well, if I convert to solid engine mounts then the engine won't move and I have just enough clearance for those fittings". Because the solid mounts decision will haunt you forever as you feel ever bit of drivetrain vibration. Hoses, line and wires: think carefully about how they will be routed. Avoid a mess by leaving ample space and routing them in a pleasing parallel way.

Found this link which has a lot of good advice and suggestions:
http://www.reddit.com/r/projectcar/comments/163nfw/a_guide_to_your_first_project_car/

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000