Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Announcements
 Spam

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cyclopsitis Posted - Dec 28 2007 : 01:07:01 AM
Hey Aaron, I was just wondering if the spam pisses you off as much as it does me? I'd like to find that person that spammed every topic and ram my boot up their a**!! Are they all different people? Can you track IPs? Are there really that many people in this world who are looseriffic enough and have that much time on their hands? It really ticks me off! Thats all I have to say about that.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aaron Cake Posted - Jan 27 2008 : 10:22:50 AM
That's a mod to PHPBB2 (interestingly, one of the most insecure forums ever written ;) ) so it's not too much use to me. This week I added a few minor mods to the forums code based on what I saw in the PHP mod. Specifically, this forum now denies known spam bots based on their user agent string (spammers are often too lazy to change this from the default). It seems to have helped.
pebe Posted - Jan 21 2008 : 2:56:42 PM
Aaron,
You may already know about this. I lifted it from another forum.

Quote:"Admin!! If you're tired of those blasted ads from spambots, then I know of a MOD to PHPBB2 that prevents any bot from registering. Link here: http://www.smokey-services.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1450&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a "
Aaron Cake Posted - Dec 29 2007 : 10:37:06 AM
Yeah, I'm sure your friend is a 1ee7 hax0r.

The spammers are motivated by money. They get referral fees and kickbacks from driving traffic to a site. Thus they have a reason to continue to develop their software.

In general though it's only unmaintained sites that have issues with spam.
cyclopsitis Posted - Dec 29 2007 : 12:46:32 AM
What a pain man! I don't understand most of that stuff.. I have a friend who hacks things like banks and security systems with his PSP... I don't like people like that! Atleast you do your best to stay on top of it though that is cool with me!
Aaron Cake Posted - Dec 28 2007 : 09:41:08 AM
They are botnets running on machines all over the world. When people run insecure machines without an up to date AV (or any at all) then they get infected and begin spamming.

There's very little that can be done. Any method to prevent these bots from registering to the forum only lasts a few months. CAPTCHAs are now easy to decode, though they stop the dumber bots. There are a few more tricks that I can employ but I will try them out on the other forms on the site before I modify the (much more complicated) forum code.

I try to clean it out as quickly as possible, as well as delete the 5-10 spammer accounts created every day, but there are some days where I can't get to the forum.

It's not unique to the forum either. Every form on this site is spammed hundreds of times a day but I filter it out. I'm about to make a few more changes to the guestbook filters as well.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000