DRL/Indicator circuit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

77clubman

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2016 :  6:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
Restoring a 1977 mini clubman panelvan and am upgrading the lights to led and want to run the front parker lights as DRL as the new headlight inserts have a parker globe inside them but i need a circuit to dim/turn one off when i use the corresponding turn signal on that side.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can solder and stuff but as for actually what parts i require i have no idea. I like to dabble in lots of things and electronics is just one that i am really new too.

Regards
Craig

fastcars1173

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2016 :  4:36:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This company has a system that is called switchback that goes from white driving lights and switches to amber when the signal is on. They sell the controller separately for $25. http://www.vleds.com/shop-products/v3-triton/controllers/v3-wa-cntrl-2-5.html
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2016 :  10:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If I am parsing the question correctly, you want to have a light illuminated by default but then turned off when the turn signal is activated?

Probably the easiest way would be to power this light using the normally closed contacts of a relay and then have the relay coil connected in parallel with the signal lamp.
Go to Top of Page

77clubman

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2016 :  04:59:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@aaroncake i was thinking that but the drl will flash as the power feeding the relay coil pulses.do you think its possible to use arduino to do this? If so i have some research to do.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  11:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I might be misunderstanding what you want.

Can you maybe make a simple truth table?

All is possible with Arduino. Whether one is required, that is the question.
Go to Top of Page

77clubman

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2016 :  5:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@aaroncake i assume this is what you were meaning

Download Attachment: truth.gif
6.4 KB

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2016 :  10:19:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Looks fairly simple. There are many ways this can be done.

Descrete gates for example.

But, you will get the lowest component count if you do it in software. The ATTINY84 is a 14 pin DIP offering 12 I/O lines, which could easily handle this.

If you go that route, I've already done the hard work:
http://www.aaroncake.net/76cosmo/taillights

That circuit is basically what you would want. Just use an 84 instead of an 85 and build 4 opto coupler sections (there is probably even a multi-opto coupler IC). Instead of MOSFETs, just use cheap signal transistors (ie. 2N3904, 2N22222) to switch your headlight relays.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000