Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 63

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never made a power transformer. I just buy one when I need one.
The voltage stepup of a transformer is determined by the ratio of the turns on the secondary divided by the number of turns on the primary. If it is center-tapped then the ratio is doubled. If there are not enough turns on the primary then the current will be high without a load.
Look at the max current rating of various sizes of wire. The wire's heat is concentrated in a transformer so thicker wire will be cooler.
Go to Top of Page

mira
Apprentice

57 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2008 :  10:11:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again. I will follow your advice.
Go to Top of Page

kako

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2008 :  10:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys!!!

i just bought a 1500watts power inverter with 3000watts peak to try and use my air conditioner from a car battery. I dont know if i calculated wrong but my air conditioner uses less than 1200 watts and is a 120v 10amps or less. I tried using a 750 amps car battery but when i turn the air conditioner's compressor on; the power inverter turns off and starts beeping.The powert inverter haves its own power metter and when the compressor turns on it doesnt even get to 1000watts. I bought this power inverter on ebay, does this means that the power inverter isnt truly whats it says it is or am i missing something???? Is there any way for me to remove this safety switch to force the inverter to work under this conditions without shuting itself down??? i really dont care how mush time can the battery move the compressor but i really need to turn it on.

Please if you guys think of something help me out here
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  02:59:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the inverter has a good specification but your car battery doesn't. 750A is "cold cranking Amps" when the battery is very overloaded which drops its voltage to 7.2V. It can supply only about 75A at 12V for maybe 3/4 of an hour. 75A at 12V is only 900W.

Your air conditioner might have a starting power surge much higher than its 1200W running power.
Go to Top of Page

kako

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  6:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what type of battery you think would be best to use for this type of work???
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2008 :  7:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have never needed to use an inverter. I don't go camping and my electricity is very reliable.
To supply the high current to the inverter when it must supply a power surge to a starting air conditioner needs a pretty powerful battery.
Go to Top of Page

kako

4 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  12:38:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really confused why would someone make a power inverter that goes up to 5000watts if you need the input power to be same as the output power. Is it even possible to find a battery with such Power like 1500watts that is not cranking power like car batteries???
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2008 :  2:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 5000W inverter gets hot. Extra input power is needed. Maybe it needs an input of 6000W from a battery.
An inverter with this much power probably uses a 48V battery to reduce its current.
There are some pretty big batteries that power electric fork-lift trucks.
Go to Top of Page

kako

4 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  6:19:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but its input voltage is 12V so that would mean i would need a battery with constant 150amps maybe?? Does that even exist cause i know car batteries have more amps but they are cranking not coinstant
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2008 :  6:55:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
150A at 12V is 1800W. A good inverter circuit could have an output of 1500W plus 300W of heat.
A car battery is used for only a few seconds so it doesn't boil when starting a car. It is not designed for continuous high current nor for deep discharge like an inverter's battery needs to be.

Huge batteries used in electric fork lift trucks can continuously supply high current without overheating.
Go to Top of Page

troyboy76127

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  9:27:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does anyone know how to change the frequency output on the inverter? i am guessing caps of different frequency. i want to be able to adjust it like a variable freq drive from 0-300hz....thanks..........troy
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  11:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every inverter has an oscillator. One or two resistors and/or capacitors could have their values changed to change the frequency.
But first you must select an inverter circuit that works. The inverter here does not work.

When you use a transformer designed for 50Hz or 60Hz and try to increase the frequency then the transformer might not work well.
When you decrease the frequency then the transformer will saturate which increases the current and blows up the transistors.
Go to Top of Page

Tolexp

Nigeria
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  03:30:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good day sir,i got your inverter circuit diagram of 12v to 120v. i try to practicalise it, but am unable to get 68uf,25v tantalum capacitor in my environment.please sir help with a substitution for the 68uf,25v tantalum capacitor or any capacitor to reply, because i can't get it in my environment. thanks sir
Go to Top of Page

Rifat Ahmed Khan

Bangladesh
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  05:10:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to Mr. moderator, Mr. audioguru and everyone reading this.
i'm a new member and having some difficulties. i visiteded some pages on topic_id=2996 on inverters but couldn't find any specific location for the design and schematics of an inverter. i am an U.G. student and want to work out a project on a transformerless 12v dc-240v ac boost inverter. probably this could be done using IGBTs. this is an emergency because i have to submit a project proposal by next sun day, 10 Feb, so, i need a material with complete theoretical solution and schematics. reading you i found that you are the best. Please help me.

shuvo
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2008 :  08:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rifat Ahmed Khan

.....i am an U.G. student and want to work out a project .... so, i need a material with complete theoretical solution and schematics.

Why do you expect someone else to give you a complete design for your classwork?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000