Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Electronics
 Basic Electronics
 Regarding the connection of the charger circuit.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ericdhs
Apprentece

11 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  2:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ericdhs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm Eric. I found this Automatic 12V Lead Acid Battery Charger from your website and I would like to construct it.

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/charger2.htm

But i am not sure how to connect the SCR and TRIAC. I would like to ask how to connect the SCR and TRIAC in the circuit. Can you tell me for Q1 which is the TRIAC, which pin is to be connected to D2. and how about the other two pins?

And so for Q2 which is the SCR. I hope you can reply me as soon as possible. because i am stuck at the moment.

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  7:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simply goto google and look up "BT136", which is the TRIAC. Whoever manufactures the device should showup on the first page. Track down the datasheet on the website and look at the pinout. The gate pin is connected to D2.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
Go to Top of Page

ericdhs
Apprentece

11 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  10:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Send ericdhs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot for the information..
but I still have some doubts in the circuits.

For Q1 right, I shall connect terminal 2 to D1 and terminal 1 to R1?

How about Q2? The gate is connected to D3 whereas Cathode is connected to the -input of the battery while anode is connected to R7?

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  05:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.ortodoxism.ro/datasheets/philips/BT136_SERIES_E_2.pdf

You are all correct and ready to go!

Go to Top of Page

ericdhs
Apprentece

11 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  09:03:59 AM  Show Profile  Send ericdhs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help. It's very important for me as it's part of my Final Year Project.
Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  9:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No problem.

Go to Top of Page

ericdhs
Apprentece

11 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  1:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ericdhs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hie.. i would like to ask about the charger again, the input voltage must be AC or DC?
because i see most charger is using DC but from the diagram i see it's from the transformer, so it shud be AC?
can AC voltage charge the battery?
will it explode?
Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  8:06:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
the input voltage must be AC or DC?

AC = Alternating current. DC = Direct current. Remember voltage and current are different things.

Get a transformer that operates off your mains supply and has a secondary output that is capable of a little more voltage then that of the battery you want to charge. Through the circuit there will be a slight voltage drop due to circuit resistance. Just be safe when dealing with high voltage mains.

Get a transformer that can supply at least 15V at 4A if charging a 12V car battery. All transformers operate off AC. If charging a 12V car battery, make sure your R2 pot is tuned to make the charge voltage 13.8V. Look at the notes on the link.

quote:
i see most charger is using DC but from the diagram i see it's from the transformer, so it shud be AC?

The energy comes from the mains supply. The mains supply is AC. The transformer must lower the voltage down to a more usefull voltage for the circuit. D1 rectifies the AC to DC. The battery wouldn't charge if connected to AC. Just don't do this, it would be silly.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ This signal is similar to what the signal will be on the cathode of D1 with reference to circuit ground. It is DC as long as it doesn't drop below 0V.

Go to Top of Page

ericdhs
Apprentece

11 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  10:33:23 PM  Show Profile  Send ericdhs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
there is another thing that i would like to ask.
why the LED is always ON no matter what, i try to adjust the 100 Ohm pot but it still ON?
why is it like that?

and all the four 82 Ohm 2W resistor are very 'hot' and seems going to burn.. can i change it to 82 Ohm 5W?
Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  02:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) Give me some details about your transformer.
2) Do the 82ohm resistors get hot when the charger is connected to the battery and is on?
3) Are any of the other components hot?

Go to Top of Page

ericdhs
Apprentece

11 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  11:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Send ericdhs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The transformer is a step down from 220V to 18V-0-18V, but i only supply 18V to it.
The 82ohm resistors are hot when the charger is connected to the battery and when it's on.
The other components are not hot.

But why the LED is always ON? So means that I cant set the charging voltage?
Go to Top of Page

ericdhs
Apprentece

11 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  11:29:56 AM  Show Profile  Send ericdhs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
btw, the voltage i get from the output of the charger is only 10.23V
input from transformer is 18V but i only get 10.23V?
shud be be correct?

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  11:35:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wait, you are supplying 18V AC to the primary of the transformer? Or are you getting 18V at the secondary?
Go to Top of Page

ericdhs
Apprentece

11 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  1:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Send ericdhs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
primary 230V / secondary, i tried with 12V, 15V and 24V but i only get 12V at the output of the charger. and the problem now is that the battery kenot stop charging at the desire voltage. coz the LED is always on and no matter how i adjust the 100 ohm pot, the light is still there.

pls help..
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  10:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If the light is on all the time, then something is wrong...Is D3 and Q2 installed correctly? Did you connect the output to R7 and R8? If so, then that is incorrect. The schematic shows the wire crossing R7 and R8 but not connecting.
Go to Top of Page

ericdhs
Apprentece

11 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  2:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ericdhs a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i didnt connect R7 and R8 to the output.. D3 is connected correctly but i am not sure about the Q2..

The gate of Q2 is conncted to D3, anode is connected to R7 and kathode is connected to the output of the charger. Is this correct?

Can u tell me more about the connections of Q1 and Q2 pls?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000