New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

snoopykissedlucy

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  11:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit snoopykissedlucy's Homepage  Send snoopykissedlucy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone help me build a Drag Racing Christmas Tree for my garage?

I read the Circuits sections but I'm still unsure how to build this timer.

I plan on using appliance bulbs on top and colored floodlights on the horizontal pole and plugging it into my wall socket. I want the bulbs to light up sequentially down the pole with one side ending with a red light and the other with a green.

The look I'm going for is to place the tree on the back wall so the two cars look like they are staging at a drag strip.

Ps- please check out this discussion on garagejournal.com
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5383

PS2- please check out my garage pics
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/791682

Thanks!!!

Bill_Marsden
Apprentece

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  03:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have built a 4 light (2 Pairs of each) light tree for my robotic combat club. Sequence is <red><yellow><yellow><green>. At the moment it is manual, done with toggle switches, but I have almost finished planes for an automatic sequencer. Check out roboticrebellion.net, then go to the galleries for the plans I have posted. They aren't complete, I do have more drawings not posted, but it this looks like something you might be interested in get in touch and I will share what I have. Basically I'm making this open source for other robotic clubs, but it is pretty general and might apply for your needs.
Go to Top of Page

snoopykissedlucy

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  2:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit snoopykissedlucy's Homepage  Send snoopykissedlucy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just tried to reach the website but yahoo doesnt find it. Any chance there's a different way to type it?
www.roboticrebellion.net ????

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  10:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nice 240! I wish I could find one in such good shape around here!

As for the christmas tree, I think the easiest thing would be to use a simple microcontroller cirucit. It could be done easily with a light chaser circuit if you are not worried about accuracy (ie. the delay between all lights would be the same and the "stage" lights would simply be part of the sequence instead of looking like someone is actually staging). If that's acceptable, then the light chaser on the circuits page will do the job with a set of either TRACs or (safer) solid state relays to switch the bulbs.

If you want accuracy, a microcontroller is the way to go since it can all be easily done in software, including "random" fake staging light sequences.
Go to Top of Page

Bill_Marsden
Apprentece

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  11:23:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My error, the site is:

http://robotrebellion.net/

I'm one of the moderators at the site, mainly because I am current president of the robotic combat club SWARC (South West Association of Robotic Combat). This is a temporary job I have assured them, but for now mine.

I noticed several times I've seen references to using microcontrollers for relatively easy digital circuits. People use tech they know, but this doesn't seem very cost effective. The cheapest microcontroller I know of is around $25 dollars, and this doens't necessarily include the programming hardware required. There is a learning curve associated with programming these suckers too, they either program is BASIC or something that looks a lot like assy level programming.

Something like a 4 or 5 light sequencer would seem to be major overkill for such a controller, not to mention the base price for such simple electronics is less than $10. The displays, and interface electronics (not too complicated), is going to be the same with both. A 555 IC would be accurate as a time base. Where I would think about going with a microcontroller is if you need a count up timer also, measuring in milliseconds. There the circuitry requirements escallate to the point where microcontrollers would save a lot of money and circuit space. The programming would be a major consideration, but skull sweat is mostly free. It is also possible to use a full blown computer for such a project, either laptop or desktop, and there are lots of old ones kicking around for such a job. That would take care of the counter interface too.

If there are cheaper controllers I don't know about I would be interested. Price is always a consideration for my projects.

In researching the parallel interface for a universal input/output I fought off the temptation to use my laptop as a controller. It still would be practical, since I don't plan on leaving this computer dedicated for this application, but I have more than one arena to take care of, and your application sounds a lot simplier than the project goals I've set myself.

About the light tree, what is the configuration of the lights your thinking of?

Something like:

Edited by - Bill_Marsden on Sep 03 2006 12:08:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill_Marsden
Apprentece

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  11:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, you'll probably need something like SSR (solid state relays). These nifty little devices are exactly what they sound like. They are mechanically small, no moving parts, and take very low drive current and voltage, something a computer printer interface could provide for example, and drive high power AC, like the floodlamps in a light tree. They are optically isolated, which means they are extremely safe as long as they are wired correctly, and while I wouldn't want to test this theory I suspect they would isolate a lightning strike. They use internal LED's (user can't get to them) to turn on/off AC switching components.

Here is an example how I used them.

http://robotrebellion.net/cgi-bin/Gallery/Images/1942L8S28_LightTreeRevH.jpg

Among the drawing not included are full mechanical drawings of the wooden box I built and installed this into.

I also reverse engineered another dude's light tree, which led me to engineering decisions I now regret. If you decide to go with something like this allow me to redraw one specific to your needs. The cat5 cable shown as numbers is around 50 feet long in actual use, if the voltage polaritys were reversed (a minor change, but what I was talking about earlier) you could connect the light tree directly to a laptop through the printer interface.

Edited by - Bill_Marsden on Sep 03 2006 12:07:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

snoopykissedlucy

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  8:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit snoopykissedlucy's Homepage  Send snoopykissedlucy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Wow! thanks guys for the info! I'm new to the electronic gig and am wanting to keep this as low-tech as possible. (I dont even have a laptop)

The light sequence goes like this:
starting from the top, small yellow bulb (both sides)first
then small yellow bulb (both sides)next
then (both sides)large yellow bulb next
then (both sides)large yellow bulb next
then one large green bulb while the other side large red turns on.

This sequence allows for one side to always win. Remember, it's just a decoration...something to impress the guys!
I was hoping it's something that I could plug-into my wall and unplug when I'm not home.

PS-when I heard relays, I think of the automotive kind....but they are for 12 volts. Where do I get some for 110 household current?

Thanks a bunch!!
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  10:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Various PIC series controllers are only a few dollars, and the programmer can be made for under $10. Processors have really come down in price...

However if it's just a decoration and accuracy is not necessary, then the light chaser circuit on this website will do the job easily.

For relays, you will want solid state relays capable of switching your mains voltage (assuming you are using lamps).

If you are just using small 12V bulbs, a TIP41 transistor ona small heat sink will work fine as a switch.
Go to Top of Page

Bill_Marsden
Apprentece

USA
21 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2006 :  6:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So where are you finding PIC controllers for $10? Are these just the raw chips, or on PC boards? I'm pretty active with electronics, and haven't seen these kind of prices anywhere, so I'm interested.

I have to agree with keeping something like this a low voltage system. Safer to work on, and less likely to burn the house down. You can get some large LED's for the small lights, and the larger lights can be automotive, which would fit with your theme well.

You can even test it on a bread board (a small test circuit) before wiring up the fancy displays.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  11:31:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My local electronics store has the chips for less then $5 quite often. A few passive components and you have a simple PIC circuit.
Go to Top of Page

Schleusner

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2006 :  11:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the name of your "local electronics store"?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2006 :  10:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Counterparts Electronics.
Go to Top of Page

stmike61

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2007 :  8:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey snoop did you ever make that tree. I made one out of pvc pipe, lamp wiring and sockets,colored flood lights and a chaser controler to make them flash in the proper order. about 6 feet tall and looks like the real thing. Plugs into any 110 outlet and works great. Made it for a monthly car show that lasted about two years and still works like new. If there was a market in it I would try selling them but this is the first sight I have heard of anyone wanting one. Trust me the controler is the key to it, simple install and resonable price.

Download Attachment: xmas tree.jpg
61.1 KB

Edited by - stmike61 on Feb 04 2007 8:58:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amanda

South Africa
3 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  02:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snoopykissedlucy

Can someone help me build a Drag Racing Christmas Tree for my garage?

I read the Circuits sections but I'm still unsure how to build this timer.

I plan on using appliance bulbs on top and colored floodlights on the horizontal pole and plugging it into my wall socket. I want the bulbs to light up sequentially down the pole with one side ending with a red light and the other with a green.

The look I'm going for is to place the tree on the back wall so the two cars look like they are staging at a drag strip.

Ps- please check out this discussion on garagejournal.com
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5383

PS2- please check out my garage pics
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/791682

Thanks!!!

Go to Top of Page

Amanda

South Africa
3 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  02:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am new. I need to know how to get hold of the software needed for a x-mas tree for drag racing. Is there anyone who could get me the specifications or direct me to where ever?

Thanx
Go to Top of Page

Amanda

South Africa
3 Posts

Posted - May 07 2008 :  02:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I am new. Does anyone know what software/programs you need for a x-mas tree for drag racing? I am building one and do not know where to start looking.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000