About The Spam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2006 :  10:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Some may have noticed that there has been a bit of spam issue on this forum lately. Spammers are now registering accounts to post one or two messages with links to their sites. I'm deleting about 5 of these accounts per day. Essentially they are not really trying to drive traffic to their site directly, but get their links to be visible on a highly ranked site (ie. this one) so that Google gives them a better listing. Paradoxically this does the spammers no good here because I have set this forum as "no follow" in Google so it does not spider external links here and completely ignores them!

There are various solutions to this but honestly I don't see it as a big problem yet so I'll just go on deleting the one or two posts daily and clear the spammer accounts. If it begins to be a problem, then I'll just set new members to approval mode so that I must flip a switch before they can post.

It goes without saying, but PLEASE do NOT READ any spam posts and DO NOT click on any links. They track clicks to their links so if they find people from this forum are visiting their site they will POST MORE SPAM.

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  01:49:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
It goes without saying, but PLEASE do NOT READ any spam posts and DO NOT click on any links.

Sure thing.

I'm sure you've got a creative mind and probbably have already figured this out.

Introduce a kind of AI the reads the posts and locates characteristics of spam posts and notifies you so that it's alot easier to delete the spam. I can only see this website get more popular, and more spam comming in. Since you've got a beast of a server now, why not introduce a script that will make your life a bit easier.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  09:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You know, because AI is just so easy to program.

Actually I think I have a solution for the spam that's going to prevent these spambots from registering. I've already set it up on a test forum (on the new server) and it works well. So when I switch servers it will become active.
Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  7:00:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ja! AI is easy to program.

Do you know a forum or forums that have serious spam probblems? How do the admin deal with it

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2006 :  10:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Most forums these days have massive spam problems. I mod over at RX7club.com and we get hundreds of spammers registering per day.

Most forums get around it with some type of automated validation system. That's what I've set up on the new server.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000