An Idea
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cyclopsitis
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2008 :  9:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cyclopsitis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is just a general question. Does anyone else hate it when you're driving at night and someone does not have the courtosy to turn off their brights? Or when the road is wet have trouble seeing and knowing where the lines are on the road?

Well I have an idea that I've used and tested on cars. Now where do I go with this? How do you go about pattening an idea and then finding companies to be interested?

Anyway ideas would be grand!

mrgone
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  08:27:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, you can do your own patent. The gov't has websites with instructions. If it is really good, you can start with a poor man's patent. Make the schematic and descriptions and mail it as a registered or certified letter to yourself. Then do not open it. It is an official post mark with date that can be used in court.
Investors is another thing. There are all kind of websites. They usually require you to pay something. I've never used any though. You can find bulletin boards like HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) or AES (Amateur Electronic Supply) or anything else you can think of. Then there is word mouth, family, friends, the local Pub. After that, your guess is as good as mine.
Go to Top of Page

cyclopsitis
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2008 :  11:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see cyclopsitis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply mrgone, I'm hopping that this idea will work for the public. I know how anoyeeing it is when people blind you with their high beams at night and for a brief second you can't see the road. Especially when they have thoes blue or really white lights and your drving on a wet road. I'll do the mail it to myself thing... I don't get mail anyway unless its a loan payment from the bank hahah so to get something in the mail would be nice haha.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  09:20:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that before something can be produced, it must be approved by the DOT/MTO/whatever. To say that getting something approved for on road use is difficult would qualify as a huge understatement.

I share your frustration regarding the new "HID" headlights and other colours. It's more annoying being followed by some idiot with those kinds of lights as it blinds me via the rear view. I've lately been thinking of mounting two 1KW halogen spotlights in the rear window of the Insight...
Go to Top of Page

cyclopsitis
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2008 :  2:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cyclopsitis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We share the same frustration and have similar idea on how to "combat" the stupidity of others that hahaha. When I was working out west in Alberta I was followed by some huge truck that was jacked up and i'm not kidding from my view it looked like three cars stacked on top of eachother. They had regular head lights, then ones below (like parking lights) then fog lamps. All bright white/blue and no matter where I put my mirrors I was blinded. The person tail gated for a quite a bit until I just stepped on the breaks and went from 120km/h to about 40... that pissed them off and they passed. hahaha. Payback.

I guess I'm going to have to do some more testing of the idea. I don't want to put work into something that someone (probably the people who are fine with blinding others with HIDs) would say is unsafe on the road. If I'm correct with the idea it could even reduce driver fatigue.. especially for truckers. I think this will take a bit more thought into how I can package this.
Go to Top of Page

Kahn
Apprentece

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  11:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be perfectly honest.
It's really diffucult to help you without knowing the idea. But I understand why you're not telling.

I have wonderful ideas for inventions quite often. However, Every single idea has either been in place for 50 years without my knowledge, or taken by some blasted asian chick in college.

here are my tips:

1. Ensure that no one else took your idea.

2. Ensure practicality.

3. don't go to any motor company until you have a patent and a really good lawyer. Look up Dyson for an example. (Damn corporates!!!!!)

4. If its a passive system i.e. reflecting the light away, all is well.

5. If its an aggressive system, i.e. blasting light at the other driver, Scrub idea. (even though i like the idea anyways.)

As it happens, I too have a brilliant idea for cars, seeing as I am just learning to drive.
I am going to do a poorman patent, even though most American drivers would be completely unable to use this technology.

Well, I hope this helped.

KAHN

Spare parts means you made it better.
Go to Top of Page

cyclopsitis
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2008 :  8:08:43 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cyclopsitis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Its a pain eh!? I have an entire note book full of ideas that I've written down but havn't done anything with. I'm glad some of them I never bothered pursing too because they exist in a different alread. About the patten I learned at the age of 12 not give out any ideas because someone will take it. I drew up an exhaust fan idea (now used in many of the high efficency funances made today that output in 2.5" PVC!") I gave the idea to a friend who worked at union gas at the time he gave it to his boss who gave it one of the lead engineers at the time. A few years later at the County Fair (big companies bring their new gadtes over to show off at the home show) I saw a design (changed a little as it was) but after staring at it for a long time I realized it look starngly familar to the one I drew up a few years back. I never heard back from them about it and my drawing dissapeared! HAHAHA I've become a bit smarter then I was... Atleast I hope.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000