Car Battery Charger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Boots

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  12:50:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To charge 24 volt batteries what should the output be from the T1 transformer of the power supply and should any of the other components be beefed up?

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  10:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
See this topic:
http://www.aaroncake.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5954
Go to Top of Page

aservantofhis

Austria
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im planning of having an ev setup running 13x 12v AGM batteries. These will be all wired together to get 156v. I want to build a 2500w charger for this. T1 will be 230vac in and 115-0-115 out. I can use the 115vac and convert it to dc which will end up being about 162vdc. Would this be ok to charge 156v AGM batteries? You had said they needed to be charged at 14.5-14.9v for a 12v battery. Could you please help me by telling me what the rest of the components will need to be since its going to be a huge charger. Im guessing some components are going to need beefing up since this will be 2.5Kw. Thanks Heaps, Richard.
Go to Top of Page

madscientist267
Apprentece

7 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  2:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would look into balancing if you're going to have that many batteries in series. Thats a total of 78 2V cells, and as any one (or more) of which begins to have different SOC or SOH (due to snowballing imbalances), you'll ultimately end up with a really nice set of paperweights suitable for nothing more than holding down the library of congress.

Depending on your use case, you might want to consider something more resembling smaller, individual chargers for each battery (or at least pairs), each with their own regulation. The better the balancing, the longer the lifespan of the entire bank.

There are other benefits to running individual chargers; the least of which is that a single component failure somewhere doesnt require a single expensive replacement (bridge, transformer, etc).

Either way, you're right; you will need a bit of power to charge them all, but if you go with individual chargers, the only thing you'll really need to make sure is 'beefy' is your mains feed.

One other note - depending on exact chemistry, 14.5-14.9V is ok for cyclic use, provided the time is limited, and the temperature of the batteries monitored. If you intend to have them waiting on standby, you should allow them to float much lower, somewhere between 12.9 and 13.2. At higher voltages and temperatures, cells gas excessively and plate warping can become a problem, ultimately destroying the batteries.

Speaking of gassing - This many batteries on charge (and even discharge depending on rate) produces serious amounts of gas even during NORMAL charge - Hydrogen accumulation becomes a very important consideration. Don't do it in an interior space without significant amounts of ventilation, unless of course you don't really value the structural integrity of the interior space in question, and anyone anywhere nearby. :)

Steve

If it aint broke, fix it anyway; there's always SOMETHING wrong with EVERYTHING.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000