Lightning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2009 :  08:07:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Take a look at this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hORUSzOvUfM&feature=related

While your at it, look up some slo-mo videos of lightning strikes.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  10:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's great...I was watching some show on Discovery about a team of people who built a lightning detector and rigged it to trigger a super high speed camera (10,000 FPS or something like that). It was the first time this was done and they captured the complete cycle of a lightning bolt. The video showed a slow motion image of the leader forming, the initial strike to earth, and then the multiple returns to the clouds. Simply amazing.

I actually live about 700 feet or so from a set of railroad tracks that is on a little hill. There's a clear view out from my porch. About 3 to 4 times a year, lightning hits the tracks. About once I am lucky enough to be on the porch to see it. You can almost feel when it is about to happen.
Go to Top of Page

wasssup1990
Nobel Prize Winner

A Land Down Under
2261 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2009 :  7:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit wasssup1990's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think those slo-mo videos prove to us how the electrons in a wire behave as we learnt in physics class, about electron drift velocity and so on. The electrons drift throughout the wire and don't travel at the speed of light in the wire. I think an electron changing direction produces light (photons). An electron staying in the same direction does not produce light (photons). Very interesting.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000