Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  02:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sure has a lot of errors. I think i got them all. I skipped over the errors in Random Thoughts section.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2009 :  10:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
As I believe I have mentioned on YouTube, most of these errors are not spelling errors but "word substitution" errors. As people don't read every single word, these are harder to catch in proof-reading especially since I have already read the content so many times and know in my head what I meant to say. As I alone am responsible for the content on this site (minus the forum) I don't exactly have a team of proof readers.

However, "a lot of errors" is a bit of an overstatement. I believe that you forwarded me approximately 10 errors via your messages on YouTube. Considering that this site has well over 1000 pages of text, 10 errors is only a 1% error rate.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  01:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, no kidding, but also there id the Random Thoughts section in that "over 1000 pages of text". I would also like to take that job as the "team of proof readers". Trust me, i have time. Useless, probably could be doing something better, time.

I am surprised you remember me.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  01:51:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Then again there is the pages

Why buy an RX7
Guestbook (which is an error all in itself)
http://www.aaroncake.net/spuds/howto.htm (Just in the first part.)

and all the pages of comments, features, and the errors in the messages you send me. I will finish the spud-guns some other time because frankly, the subject is pretty boring, I have more fun installing a stereo in one of my cars.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  09:24:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I miscalculated previously. Assuming 1000 pages, and 10 wrong words out of 1000 pages, that is a LOT less then a 1% error. If there is conservatively 250 words per page then that is a 0.004% error rate.

I would suspect it is quite boring spell checking my website. I would also never presume to spell check any user generated content. No matter how atrocious people's writing may be, editing their work is not very nice and really is a poor use of time.

"Features" (this section is now depreciated and will no longer be updated nor linked to on the main page) contains stuff that was a precursor to "Random Thoughts". Some of it was my useless ramblings, some was copied from other sources. "Random Thoughts" only exists because I needed a quick way to fire off useless stuff that would not fit anywhere else in the site. Some thoughts are worth the time it takes to read them, some are utterly pointless.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  9:24:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There is no reasoning here. You have more errors than you are calculating for. Assuming there is 22 errors per page and 346 words that is a 20.7% error rate.

Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  9:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Well, 20.7% chance of an error. Then what you said.

Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2009 :  9:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Edited by - Yerboogieman on Aug 20 2009 11:29:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  02:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yerboogieman

There is no reasoning here. You have more errors than you are calculating for. Assuming there is 22 errors per page and 346 words that is a 20.7% error rate.

For someone whose grammar is less than perfect, you really should not be nit-picking.

And 22 errors in 346 words is ,rounded up, 6.4% - not 20.7%
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  2:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pebe

quote:

For someone whose grammar is less than perfect, you really should not be nit-picking.

And 22 errors in 346 words is ,rounded up, 6.4% - not 20.7%

Ah yes. Thanks. How is my grammar less than perfect? Also, you have a useless comma between is and rounded; along with a space.

Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  2:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Assuming there is 22 errors per page

'22 errors' is plural. 'Is' is a singular verb, so it should read 'there are 22 errors'.

And in an earlier posting
quote:

My error? Yes, a typo - the space was in the wrong position. It slipped in by accident - like your semicolon!
Go to Top of Page

boron
Mad Scientist

Canada
223 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2009 :  2:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we really going to start arguing about the location and usage of punctuation? lol...

If we are, then the commas are ok where they are but the spaces are in the wrong place.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  04:38:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pebe

quote:
Assuming there is 22 errors per page

'22 errors' is plural. 'Is' is a singular verb, so it should read 'there are 22 errors'.

And in an earlier posting
quote:

My error? Yes, a typo - the space was in the wrong position. It slipped in by accident - like your semicolon!

Like my semicolon, which i disagree is a typo, your dashes, seem to be typos, or useless and out of place.

Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  04:39:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boron

Are we really going to start arguing about the location and usage of punctuation? lol...

If we are, then the commas are ok where they are but the spaces are in the wrong place.

You mean "okay".

Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  05:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like my semicolon, which i disagree is a typo, your dashes, seem to be typos, or useless and out of place.

Then you have a pretty poor command of the English language.

Your semicolon should have been a comma.
Your 'i' should be in upper case.
A dash with a space on either side is in common usage and to most people is a perfectly acceptable alternative to a semicolon, or an alternative to brackets if used twice in the middle of a sentence.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2009 :  11:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we need to become such annoying pendants that we dissect each other's posts for errors. However I do think that an error rate of 22 errors per page on this site is rather excessive. There are pages with several errors, and there are pages with no errors. A flat rate of 100 errors is probably accurate. When I see error, I correct them. However as I mentioned before, I may not always see them due to how a person reads their own work.

As much as possible I try to always use proper spelling, sentence structure and grammar. As I am just human (mostly) sometimes I make errors that squeak through. Additionally much of the writing others do is so piss poor that it has been effecting my own writing. For example, I am now unsure about the use of "it's" vs. "its" simply because almost no one uses them correctly. The difference is that while many people don't even bother making an effort to communicate properly, I do go through considerable effort to do so. Just once an a while, an error gets through.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000