New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  08:10:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although I have used a computer for many years, its inner workings and I are complete strangers. I recently acquired an Asus TF201 tablet running Android 4.1 and I am having problems – as I expected!

I am using a Zoom ADSL X6 to access the ‘net. The Asus performs well, but I am having trouble with email.

I can send and receive Gmail OK, but I also want to access emails from the email address provided by my ISP that I now get with Outlook Express on my main computer. There is provision in Android for entering my own email account, but when I filled in the info required it said that it could not access my ISP. I tried every permutation of POP, POP3, SMTP, security and port numbers – all without success. So I tried Google for info.

Google tells me that I cannot use OE with Android, but I can use Outlook. So I downloaded that. When I tried to use it, it would let me send mail using my email address – but not receive it.

So I am stuck. Can anyone help this computer-illiterate?

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  10:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It really has nothing to do with Outlook or Outlook Express. Your Android device accesses your email account directly without any interaction with Outlook/Express.

Google should have realized what you are actually asking and cleared things up, not advising you to use Outlook as that won't solve the problem. Random question, but from where did you download Outlook? It's a $279 program. I wasn't aware Microsoft had a downloadable trial.

Now, as far as the tablet, you need to copy the email settings exactly as they were in Outlook Express to the tablet. Don't use the easy automatic email setup, use the manual/advanced. You'll need to know your POP password probably to both send and receive mail.

If that doesn't work, is there an error?
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2013 :  11:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Cake

It really has nothing to do with Outlook or Outlook Express. Your Android device accesses your email account directly without any interaction with Outlook/Express.{/quote]
The trouble is it won't access my account
quote:
Google should have realized what you are actually asking and cleared things up, not advising you to use Outlook as that won't solve the problem. Random question, but from where did you download Outlook? It's a $279 program. I wasn't aware Microsoft had a downloadable trial.

I cannot remember from where I downloaded it but it was from a link on Google. The program shows up as 'Outlook.com' and is a typical email interface with in/out/draft/ etc boxes. It shows 'Microsoft copyright 2013' at the bottom so I assume it is genuine. At the top of the screen is displayed 'https://blu174.mail.live.com' and 'default' with a string of symbols after it. If you doubt it I can send you a photo of the screen.
[quote]Now, as far as the tablet, you need to copy the email settings exactly as they were in Outlook Express to the tablet. Don't use the easy automatic email setup, use the manual/advanced. You'll need to know your POP password probably to both send and receive mail.

I have entered these details where requested:
pop.tiscali.co.uk
smtp.tiscali.co.uk
My email address
My password
My Zoom ADSL says it uses SSL, but OE says it doesn't - so I have tried both.

The screen puts up a message that it cannot find the server.
Do you think I should send it a map?????
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2013 :  12:18:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The exact words displayed were “Couldn’t open connection to server”. No more information than that. No reason for the failure. No help files. No support found on Google. No help from the downloaded TF201 manual.

I find it amazing that the software people who came up with Android 4.1.1 expect the end user to have either a crystal ball or a degree in Computers and IT in order to decipher those few words.

I tried a third party program/application at ‘mail2web.com’ and that found my server without any problems. So why cannot Android find it?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2013 :  11:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, Outlook.com. That's a bit different than the actual Outloook and still won't help you very much.

My opinion of Android is pretty low, but I think that's an issue for another topic. The great Phone Debate perhaps, if we can stomache it.

Did you copy the port settings from Outlook Express to Android? Many ISPs are running their mail services on different ports these days.

You can also try the IP addresses directly in place of the host names.

POP: 62.24.139.60
SMTP: 212.74.100.35

The SMTP server is on a totally different IP range and doesn't return my pings...So perhaps something is wrong?

Have you trid these settings?

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email/talktalk-email-setup-android-device
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2013 :  05:24:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neither of those were solutions. But I found this page:

http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/email/access-your-talktalk-email-using-different-devices-and-applications

which gave the SMTP output port for Tiscali as 25, whereas the TalkTalk port is 587 (that was the default given by my Android system, and was the one I was using).

Everything now works OK.
Go to Top of Page

mariasam

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2013 :  03:24:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it very much thanks for sharing this information with us…. :)

maria
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000