Downtime: Early Morning Nov. 2 - 11:30AM Nov. 3rd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2014 :  11:58:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, the whole site was down starting sometime in the wee hours of the morning November 2nd 2014 until about 11:30AM Nov. 3rd. To make a long story short, I had been complaining to Bell about what appeared to be a line problem since sometime in the summer. I had been seeing 25% packet loss for months which obviously caused many problems. Not only making the website sluggish but killing any VPN, VOIP and video streaming. They had always tested the line fine and then said "We will send someone out" but of course I never saw a tech. Well, early Sunday my router dropped connection and even though there was full sync, could not negotiate PPPoE ("No answer" logged). 2.5 hours on the phone to support and they said someone would be out Monday morning to check the line. He arrived, found no issues. But quickly was diagnosed to be a bad modem and thankfully he had one on the truck. Obviously if I had another DSL modem, I would have swapped it myself on Sunday! New modem was installed, the router connected and traffic began flowing immediately.

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2014 :  8:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have a large magnet I put against my modem when it's not working properly. If I don't, then they tell me my Internet is fine when it's not or make me buy a new one. Sometimes you have to Really break stuff to get them to fix it.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2014 :  10:00:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Does a magnet really kill the sync? Maybe a moving magnet.

I've been told for the last 6 months that fiber is 1 month away. Hopefully soon.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  9:14:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The magnetic field can really mess with IC chips. Similar to setting a stack of floppies next to a high-power subwoofer.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  10:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see how that would happen unless the field is moving and very strong. Even erasing floppies with a magnet is far harder than it seems. Years ago I did some tests with various magnets and various floppies. Things like pinning one to a fridge with a magnet didn't cause much of a problem. But say, the big magnets from a magnetron moved over a floppy would generally kill it.

Unless you have a large enough magnet moving to cause inductive currents, it seems unlikely that magnets would cause a DSL modem to have issues. Then again, presumably there are some inductors right in the signal path which would provide a very convenient pickup coil for a magnetic field.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2014 :  2:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It wouldn't hurt it, but it can corrupt the data on a floppy. Not really relevant anymore, but similar idea.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000