Gotta love spam..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2015 :  02:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Spam filtering powers activate.

In the form of..

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2015 :  09:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
In the form of Aaron clearing it all out manually.

The sad part is that this crap is posted by actual people, not robots. They manually type in the CAPTCHA (I can see this in the logs).

The easiest solution would be to turn on admin approval for new accounts but this would mean several times a day I'd need to check for any pending registrations. Not a realistic scenario.

There are several anti-spam Snitz mods that at least make it only a few clicks to delete. I guess I'd just need to implement them. Snitz is very old at this point and development has ceased. Thing is that there aren't very many forums which run under ASP and even fewer that import from Snitz. vBulletin does however that requires PHP, which in itself is a steaming pile of security holes.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  06:09:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at a method of forum for the website my work is working with me to put up. The problem is finding a cheap one that will work great for years to come, with minor maintenance from myself and my boss. This has proved tricky.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  06:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
How is the Cosmo coming along? It's been a little while since the last update.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - May 12 2015 :  12:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's actually one of the reasons I picked Snitz. It is free and runs under ASP. But that was way back around 2001 or so, and I think around 2008 was the last update. It's also made more difficult because I don't run the baseline Snitz code but instead I've modified it. For example, to support file attachments. There aren't too many forums that import Snitz stuff and even moving it from Access (yes, the DB is in Access) to MySQL has proved difficult (though I have succeeded with a test DB).

vBulliten is about the only one I'd consider these days but it comes at a cost of both buying it and having to run PHP. It really also wants to be running on Apache.

There are some free forums out there but most are truly awful like Discourse. Discourse doesn't even know how to scroll.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000