Distinguish subwoofer and woofer
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2015 :  4:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Friends, is there any ways we can recognize a subwoofer from woofers just by looking and touching.? Do subwoofers have more looose voice cone?

Dany

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2015 :  12:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think stubs game larger surrounds and big caps. Or some didn't even have caps. Wright

Dany
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2015 :  09:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Probably the easiest way would be to Google the part number.

Beyond that it's an issue of driving it with a set of frequencies, measuring response, and a little math:
http://sound.westhost.com/tsp.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  10:15:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Seems like some heavy equipment's are needed.

Dany
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  8:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A subwoofer needs to move a lot of air so it needs to be big, 10 inches in diameter or more. I have an 18 inches subwoofer. It needs a huge enclosure and a very low resonant frequency so it can produce frequencies down to 20Hz that shakes your bones.
A woofer can be from 4 inches to 8 inches in diameter and produce frequencies down to about 80Hz.
If you do not have a subwoofer then bass boost can be added so a woofer that normally goes down to 60Hz can go down to 30Hz.
Go to Top of Page

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  11:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mmmm thanks. But I asked it just to buy a used one from street. by the way, right now, I'm using cheap 150₹ 8" speakers. That's two dollar for a new 8" woofer. I live in india

Dany
Go to Top of Page

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2016 :  11:15:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Mmmm thanks. But I asked it just to buy a used one from street. by the way, right now, I'm using cheap 150₹ 8" speakers. That's two dollar for a new 8" woofer. It doesn't have part number. But sounds ok. 😉 I live in india

Dany
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2016 :  8:46:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A cheap speaker usually sounds like a cheap speaker.
A cheap woofer or subwoofer will not produce low bass frequencies and a cheap tweeter will not produce high treble frequencies.
Is that what you want?
Go to Top of Page

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  10:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nope . I brought it for my very first amplifier. I was not enough confident on my myself. So I tried out with the cheapest one.

Dany
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000