New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boron
Mad Scientist

Canada
223 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  6:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand how an MRI works. However when I was lookin up why it makes noise I found this:

"The technique of MR imaging employs magnetic fields called gradient fields that are used to determine the location of signals generated in the MRI process. These powerful gradient fields are switched off and on at a very fast rate and the result is a banging sound."

Why does a field being turned on and off make noise? Is it the circuit being used to turn them on and off like the clicking of a relay? Or is it caused by some weird phenomena of the gradient field?

While were on the subject of fields, I understand according to quantum theory why objects can have magentic properties, due to the spin (paired or unpaired) of electrons, protons and neutrons. I also understand that radio waves and other forms of electromagnetic radiation photons can be emmited from exited electrons as they jump orbitals. However what I don't get is how electronic circuits (such as transmitters) are capable of producing radio waves, microwaves, etc.

How is an electric current capable of energizing more electrons to "jump" and force them to produce the radiation?

Any insight would be great.

Thanks

zinovyev

Ukraine
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2015 :  05:01:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I don't know what's wrong with your MRI, but I know what should you do if you want to buy/to sell MRI or another medical equipment.
Maybe it will help you:) There's the link for selling MRI: http://bimedis.com/search/search-items/mri
Bimedis.com
Medical Equipment Marketplace, convenient to both buyers and sellers.
Large quantity of brand new and used medical equipment with the detailed technical data and prices.
Go to Top of Page

BEatonNo1
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
1133 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  01:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit BEatonNo1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would guess the noise is from the force of the magnetic fields on the coils causing movement. Like a humming transformer.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000