Sound/Radio
 Electronic stethoscope
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sanamustafa

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  03:42:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i need help in my project. i made a electronic stethoscope but theres too much noise in the output. i need to reduce this noise but dnt know how. secondly i have to implement the adc block in hardware. need help there too.
i used this circcuit
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/steth.asp

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  10:12:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
What type of noise are you hearing? Hum? Buzz?

Or noises from the actual stethoscope head such as rubbing? A stethoscope is a very high gain instrument whether it be mechanical or electronic. It's always going to produce a lot of other noise.

As for the ADC, what are you trying to accomplish? Measure the beats? In that case you already have an ADC in the form of the sound hardware on your computer/tablet/phone. Just write the software.
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2013 :  10:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made the Electronic Stethoscope and the output was loud and clear into my headphones. The LM386 IC produces a little amount of hiss.

If you have acoustical feedback howling then you cannot use a speaker, you must use headphones that are sealed.

If you hear hum or buzzing then the cable from the mic to the amplifier must be shielded audio cable.
Go to Top of Page

sanamustafa

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  11:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
main problem with noises
1. on oscilloscope there's a lot of noise even when there is no input.
2. there's a constant hissing noise when i record it.
3. as i have to implement the adc block using pic then all this noise is a problem for me.
plus i forgot to mention the amplifier IC i am using is NE5532.
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2013 :  7:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a cheap simple circuit so it uses a fairly noisy and cheap LM386 power amp IC.
There are a few low noise expensive audio power amp ICs available that can be used instead.

The NE5532 is low noise but I do not know if you are also using the noisy LM386. The LM386 is used to drive low impedance headphones. Do not use the LM386 if you do not have low impedance headphones.
Go to Top of Page

sanamustafa

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  11:54:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i am using LM386. what should i use instead? i have to give this signal to pic16f877a for adc part and will be the serial input to my lappy for where ill transmit it to the other end using LAN. so noise is a big problem
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2013 :  10:15:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you do not use low impedance headphones then the noisy LM386 power amp IC is not needed. Use a low noise opamp instead.
The gain of the LM386 is only 20.
Go to Top of Page

sanamustafa

4 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2013 :  03:33:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
whats the overall gain of this circuit? the pre-amp is providing 21 gain. filter 1.6 and lm386 20. so the overall gain is 672. i read somewhere that the gain is divided by 2. now i am confused
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2013 :  5:58:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sanamustafa

whats the overall gain of this circuit? the pre-amp is providing 21 gain.

No it is not because the electret mic has a fairly high output impedance that is in series with R2. The gain of the preamp is
somewhere from 3.9 to about 9.6 when fed from an electret mic.

quote:
The gain of the filter is 1.6.

Yes.

quote:
The gain of the lm386 is 20.

Yes.

quote:
so the overall gain is 672.

No.
It is somewhere from 124.8 to 307.2.

quote:
i read somewhere that the gain is divided by 2.

No.
Nothing divides the gain by 2.
Go to Top of Page

turboclc

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2014 :  1:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this thread is old, but I was wondering if there was a way to hook this circuit up to a computer to record the sounds. The way it is now leaves a lot of distortion and noise in the recording. I think it has something to do with the biasing of the microphone/line in jack on the computer. The computer I am using has a bias of of about 2.8volts.
thanks!
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2014 :  6:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the output of this project is line level that is about 22 times too high since the audio input on a computer is microphone level. Only two resistors are needed to make an attenuator.

The bias voltage for an electret mic can be removed by using a coupling capacitor to the mic input of a computer.

Some computers record only speech so they have poor response to the very low frequency from heartbeats.
Go to Top of Page

turboclc

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2014 :  9:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am now using the line in on the computer and I have bypassed the LM324 going straight from the TL072. It's obviously a little quieter but you can definitely hear the heartbeat.

Would you recommend switching it back to the mic and trying to get it to work that way? Or am I on the right track?
thanks!
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2014 :  9:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turboclc

I am now using the line in on the computer and I have bypassed the LM324 going straight from the TL072. It's obviously a little quieter but you can definitely hear the heartbeat.

The circuit does not have an LM324 quad opamp. It uses an old 741 single opamp to blink the LED.

quote:
Would you recommend switching it back to the mic and trying to get it to work that way? Or am I on the right track?

Switch what back?
The output of the volume control R11 can feed the line level input of a computer.
Go to Top of Page

mallikaE

India
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 29 2016 :  04:48:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i need help sir. i made electronic stethoscope circuit but there is a noise at output sir n mic is not picking up heart beat sounds n which type of wire we should use for mic sir. why i am not geting output sir. plz help me sir

mallika
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2016 :  8:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You did not describe the noise. Is it low frequency hum because you did not use shielded audio cable from the electret mic to the circuit? Is it high frequency hiss because you did not use a TL072 low noise dual opamp?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000