Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2014 :  9:15:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa6es9_Emao

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  10:19:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. More about the build would be nice to read. Did some Googling but I couldn't find anything. There seem to be a number of RWD SC conversions on forums. Not quite sure why. To each their own I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2014 :  11:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Light weight, good looking cars in my opinion. It's on SixthSphere but you have to be a member to gain access to it. Full build thread from the ground up.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2014 :  10:52:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Man I hate forums that require registration to view and as principle refuse to join them. Honestly I've never thought of them as good looking cars. Sort of a cross between generic and some strange vision of what vehicles were supposed to look like 10 years in the future. Looks are subjective though. They might be light weight but I can think of so many better platforms for this type of thing.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2014 :  12:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It's because there was so much spam and Honda guys coming to bash on Saturns so they shut themselves out. They're also known as one of the meanest forums. They're generally pretty cool though. Just gotta flip them shit right back.

Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2014 :  12:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
MegaSquirt3X, 1995 Sc2 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend.

I was gonna upload a couple pictures but they're way too big. And I'm way too sick to be cropping them.

Go to Top of Page

S.Bretz
Apprentece

8 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2015 :  8:54:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you the same arroncakes from the cosmo restoration on youtube?

BTW, I'm the fatass that built the turd in that vid.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  10:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I'm one in the same Aaron Cake/aaroncake.

Do you have the build documented anywhere publically viewable? I'd be very interested in seeing how the rear end is set up. Just a solid axle or an IRS (like Mustang Cobra or Explorer)?
Go to Top of Page

S.Bretz
Apprentece

8 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2015 :  6:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The original plan was IRS, but that can quickly complicate the entire mess.

Its a shortened ford 8.8 form a 2001 Exploder that I got from craig's list for a good price. I think I took about 3in total off the length and ended up running the center line of the pinion about 2.5in off center to the right side. I'm running a 4 link with QA1 struts with 130lb/in springs right now (just swapped out from 110's).

There is a similar build thread on moderncamaro...its not 100% as the real build thread on sixthsphere, but its pretty darn close.
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/v6-engine-discussion/39136-what-limits-high-feature-v6.html

Why do you use the dremel so much for cutting metal? I bought a 4.5in angle grinder shortly into my fabbing as the small air compressor I have could not keep up with the heavy duty die grinder I have and a dremel would have taken a lifetime to make all the cuts. I got the grinder from harbor freight for $10 with a coupon and have taken it to hell and back and it still works great.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2015 :  10:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I use the Dremel when cutting sheet metal because it's a more controllable tool than the angle grinder which makes a smaller kerf. Much easier to cut through, say, only one level metal while leaving the layers below in tact. Obviously for major cutting or thicker metal an angle grinder or die grinder with cutoff wheel is a better choice.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2015 :  5:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Small world. How's it going, Sam?

Go to Top of Page

S.Bretz
Apprentece

8 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2015 :  7:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

BoogieP
Its going....have you been staying out of internet fights with my Father-in-law?

Arron:
Got ya...I figured it had something to do with finesse...I guess I just have so much time with the grinder that I don't even think about it. I'm pretty sure I could perform surgery with one at the moment.

Did you find a rack yet for the Cosmo? What is the length you need for the pivot points on the tie rods? I'll see if I can't find something at work or in my Garage that is close to use with a rear mounted rack. I don't shipping to Canada for a used and most likely leaking part would be economical, but I might be able to locate an application for you.

Edited by - S.Bretz on Jan 20 2015 7:17:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  12:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, for the most part. I've been busy with the purple people eater in my garage.

Someone on RX7Club mentioned something about using a RHD Miata rack.

Go to Top of Page

S.Bretz
Apprentece

8 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  8:59:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well...looking forward to the next installment.

I see there are links to the vids here on the site. That's a lot easier than checking youtube every week and trying to remember what episode was the last one.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2015 :  10:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by S.Bretz

Arron:
Got ya...I figured it had something to do with finesse...I guess I just have so much time with the grinder that I don't even think about it. I'm pretty sure I could perform surgery with one at the moment.

In close quarters like working under the dash are on the floor, or working overhead under the car, I much prefer the smaller Dremel. Witnessing several grinder accidents, including my own (long hair and angle grinders DO NOT MIX), I don't like the big grinder runner close to my face. At least a Dremel will stall if dropped or the wheel will shatter. Though once, the wheel shattered and cut right through my nose. Meh, I could use to lose a little nose anyway.

quote:

Did you find a rack yet for the Cosmo? What is the length you need for the pivot points on the tie rods? I'll see if I can't find something at work or in my Garage that is close to use with a rear mounted rack. I don't shipping to Canada for a used and most likely leaking part would be economical, but I might be able to locate an application for you.

I ended up using a RHD Miata rack. Shipping was a little expensive but honestly just the amazingness of seeing it arrive from Great Britain 2 days after it shipped was worth the $150 shipping cost. The rack was a little more expensive than the LHD version though not by a large amount. What I got by paying a little extra was that all my measurements were still valid and the brackets I made needed only a slight tweak to fit the new rack. In some ways it fit better. It allowed much better centering and gave me a better steering shaft angle.

quote:
Originally posted by S.Bretz

I see there are links to the vids here on the site. That's a lot easier than checking youtube every week and trying to remember what episode was the last one.

Subscribe on YouTube with email notification.

I used to have a mailing list that would get notified when the site was updated. It just got too big. Sending 50,000+ emails is actually rather difficult.
Go to Top of Page

S.Bretz
Apprentece

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2015 :  8:23:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do make the dremel discs that don't "pop." You need to find the ones with the fiberglass reinforced weaving.

I too have been hit in the face with a failed dremel cut-off disc...NOT FUN.

Good to know about the rack. I had an issue with mine on input angle since I moved it down about 6in and forward about 4inches. I had to get a second intermediate shaft and cannibalize it for a 3rd u-joint on my setup. With 3 u-joints it gets really sloppy so I had to run it through a large hiems joint too to support the steering shaft. At the moment I'm trying to refine bump steer. Its a little more then I thought was going to be there; which make for a really intense, adrenaline pumping ride when you hit the "go" pedal. If my package shows up tomorrow (poor weather in the northern east coast delayed shipping) I will be having a few beers and drilling some 2in deep holes tomorrow in 1in thick bar stock steel; I can't wait. :-/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000