Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Announcements
 DNS/Email Issues, Downtime and New Subforum

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aaron Cake Posted - Aug 04 2005 : 09:06:14 AM
Bad news first...

Sometime last week, weird DNS issues started coming up. Some domains (such as Hotmail.com and gmail.com) would just not resolve, so the forum could not deliver email to anyone with Hotmail or gmail address (and many others as well). I tried several fixes, from clearing the DNS cache to switching to a temporary different DNS server, but it still wouldn't work. Then, sometime Sunday, it magically corrected itself. Well, it's happening again. So if you aren't getting email notifications from the forum, don't be surprised. I'm working on fixing it, but I'm very busy and it may correct itself in the meantime.

Sorry about the downtime yesterday. Long story short is that we are experiencing long-lasting brownouts. Ontario Hydro has reduced all voltage across the province 5% to try and cut back power usage (guess they don't understand Ohm's law, eh? Reduce voltage and current increases, thus keeping total power the same). This, combined with high loads, was dropping the voltage at my house under 100V at times, and often around 105V. This was keeping the UPS on for hours at a time, thus draining the battery. Switching from UPS to generator is a manual process, so if I am not home at the time, the server just powers off. This happened yesterday at around 2:40 PM, and lasted until 5:30 or so when I was able to get home and start up the server. I put a call into London Hydro, and they showed up around 9 PM or so. They were very helpful, and have moved my place up one tap on the transformer. I'm now seeing a constant 112-115V, so I think those problems might be over. Many thanks to London Hydro who took care of the problem mere hours after I called. My neighbours probably aren't as happy, since they had to shut the power off for about 10 minutes to work on the transformer.

And the good news...

I have added a new subforum called "Electronics Repair". This forum is for discussion on repair of consumer electronics devices, sharing wiring diagrams, etc. Have fun.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000