Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Electronics
 Auto
 Building a Drag Racing Christmas Tree

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
snoopykissedlucy Posted - Sep 01 2006 : 11:14:14 PM
Can someone help me build a Drag Racing Christmas Tree for my garage?

I read the Circuits sections but I'm still unsure how to build this timer.

I plan on using appliance bulbs on top and colored floodlights on the horizontal pole and plugging it into my wall socket. I want the bulbs to light up sequentially down the pole with one side ending with a red light and the other with a green.

The look I'm going for is to place the tree on the back wall so the two cars look like they are staging at a drag strip.

Ps- please check out this discussion on garagejournal.com
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5383

PS2- please check out my garage pics
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/791682

Thanks!!!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Frankie The Flyer Posted - Nov 24 2008 : 9:08:49 PM
I realise this is an old page, but I too want to make some Dragster style lights for the Dog Club. Any circuits out there I can "borrow"?!
The lights need to have two lanes going Red - Yellow - Yellow - Yellow - Green changing at about half second intervals.
I'd also like to make a timer that starts by photoelectric cell when the dog passes the "gate" and stops when he comes back through the gate.
Take a look at "Flyball" on U-Tube and you'll see what I mean!

By the By the link http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~hultmane/Egr_450/Report/450Proj.html doesn't go anywhere for me even if you shorten it to end .edu

So close yet so far!
pebe Posted - Aug 28 2008 : 9:29:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MonGater

I don't know.. but check this one out...
http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~hultmane/Egr_450/Report/450Proj.html

Interesting.... Are the start and finish line sensors connected by 1/4 mile of wire?
SKguy Posted - Aug 28 2008 : 6:32:47 PM
Hi

Did you find plans or make this?

I am new to the electronics area and would appreciate any help you could provide

Thanks
MonGater Posted - Jun 10 2008 : 9:11:09 PM
I don't know.. but check this one out...
http://claymore.engineer.gvsu.edu/~hultmane/Egr_450/Report/450Proj.html
Amanda Posted - May 07 2008 : 02:30:53 AM
Hi, I am new. Does anyone know what software/programs you need for a x-mas tree for drag racing? I am building one and do not know where to start looking.
Amanda Posted - May 07 2008 : 02:22:39 AM
Hi,
I am new. I need to know how to get hold of the software needed for a x-mas tree for drag racing. Is there anyone who could get me the specifications or direct me to where ever?

Thanx
Amanda Posted - May 07 2008 : 02:18:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by snoopykissedlucy

Can someone help me build a Drag Racing Christmas Tree for my garage?

I read the Circuits sections but I'm still unsure how to build this timer.

I plan on using appliance bulbs on top and colored floodlights on the horizontal pole and plugging it into my wall socket. I want the bulbs to light up sequentially down the pole with one side ending with a red light and the other with a green.

The look I'm going for is to place the tree on the back wall so the two cars look like they are staging at a drag strip.

Ps- please check out this discussion on garagejournal.com
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5383

PS2- please check out my garage pics
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/791682

Thanks!!!

stmike61 Posted - Feb 04 2007 : 8:52:40 PM
Hey snoop did you ever make that tree. I made one out of pvc pipe, lamp wiring and sockets,colored flood lights and a chaser controler to make them flash in the proper order. about 6 feet tall and looks like the real thing. Plugs into any 110 outlet and works great. Made it for a monthly car show that lasted about two years and still works like new. If there was a market in it I would try selling them but this is the first sight I have heard of anyone wanting one. Trust me the controler is the key to it, simple install and resonable price.

Download Attachment: xmas tree.jpg
61.1 KB
Aaron Cake Posted - Sep 10 2006 : 10:15:41 AM
Counterparts Electronics.
Schleusner Posted - Sep 09 2006 : 11:44:57 AM
What is the name of your "local electronics store"?
Aaron Cake Posted - Sep 07 2006 : 11:31:58 AM
My local electronics store has the chips for less then $5 quite often. A few passive components and you have a simple PIC circuit.
Bill_Marsden Posted - Sep 04 2006 : 6:28:53 PM
So where are you finding PIC controllers for $10? Are these just the raw chips, or on PC boards? I'm pretty active with electronics, and haven't seen these kind of prices anywhere, so I'm interested.

I have to agree with keeping something like this a low voltage system. Safer to work on, and less likely to burn the house down. You can get some large LED's for the small lights, and the larger lights can be automotive, which would fit with your theme well.

You can even test it on a bread board (a small test circuit) before wiring up the fancy displays.
Aaron Cake Posted - Sep 04 2006 : 10:59:19 AM
Various PIC series controllers are only a few dollars, and the programmer can be made for under $10. Processors have really come down in price...

However if it's just a decoration and accuracy is not necessary, then the light chaser circuit on this website will do the job easily.

For relays, you will want solid state relays capable of switching your mains voltage (assuming you are using lamps).

If you are just using small 12V bulbs, a TIP41 transistor ona small heat sink will work fine as a switch.
snoopykissedlucy Posted - Sep 03 2006 : 8:49:42 PM
Wow! thanks guys for the info! I'm new to the electronic gig and am wanting to keep this as low-tech as possible. (I dont even have a laptop)

The light sequence goes like this:
starting from the top, small yellow bulb (both sides)first
then small yellow bulb (both sides)next
then (both sides)large yellow bulb next
then (both sides)large yellow bulb next
then one large green bulb while the other side large red turns on.

This sequence allows for one side to always win. Remember, it's just a decoration...something to impress the guys!
I was hoping it's something that I could plug-into my wall and unplug when I'm not home.

PS-when I heard relays, I think of the automotive kind....but they are for 12 volts. Where do I get some for 110 household current?

Thanks a bunch!!
Bill_Marsden Posted - Sep 03 2006 : 11:41:09 AM
BTW, you'll probably need something like SSR (solid state relays). These nifty little devices are exactly what they sound like. They are mechanically small, no moving parts, and take very low drive current and voltage, something a computer printer interface could provide for example, and drive high power AC, like the floodlamps in a light tree. They are optically isolated, which means they are extremely safe as long as they are wired correctly, and while I wouldn't want to test this theory I suspect they would isolate a lightning strike. They use internal LED's (user can't get to them) to turn on/off AC switching components.

Here is an example how I used them.

http://robotrebellion.net/cgi-bin/Gallery/Images/1942L8S28_LightTreeRevH.jpg

Among the drawing not included are full mechanical drawings of the wooden box I built and installed this into.

I also reverse engineered another dude's light tree, which led me to engineering decisions I now regret. If you decide to go with something like this allow me to redraw one specific to your needs. The cat5 cable shown as numbers is around 50 feet long in actual use, if the voltage polaritys were reversed (a minor change, but what I was talking about earlier) you could connect the light tree directly to a laptop through the printer interface.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000