Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Electronics
 Auto
 Automatic LEAD Acid Battery Charger

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mohsin_160 Posted - Oct 31 2007 : 03:22:35 AM
Hi
I have made the circuit and with no battery connected it is 7 V at the output terminals
So plz tell me how to check that is it charging or not
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pebe Posted - Nov 14 2008 : 04:17:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Cake

If you put a diode between the charger and battery, the charger cannot sense the voltage level of the battery.

As long as the battery is charging, the diode will reduce the charging voltage by a fixed amount so you can sense the battery voltage by measuring the charger output. It will equal battery voltage + 0.7V.
albertvd Posted - Nov 02 2008 : 11:06:51 AM
Make sense. Thanks.
Aaron Cake Posted - Nov 02 2008 : 10:12:51 AM
If you put a diode between the charger and battery, the charger cannot sense the voltage level of the battery.

Just use a relay activated by mains to totally disconnect the charger from the battery.
albertvd Posted - Nov 02 2008 : 08:49:15 AM
I have a microcontroller which is powered off 12V. Currently it runs off a 12V power supply plugged into 220V mains. Due to frequent power failures, I know want to change it to run of a 12V lead acid battery. Between the battery and the microcontroller I have a 12V regulator.

To prevent me having to make sure the battery is always charged, I am thinking of connecting a charger to the battery and the battery to the microcontroller:

Automatic 12V Lead Acid Battery Charger
|
12V battery
|
12V regulator
|
Microcontroller

The charger would therefore be remain plugged into mains and connected to the battery. I'm thinking that I would need a diode between the charger and the battery to prevent the circuit from draining the battery when the mains is off.

Would this work or do I have to make some other changes?
Aaron Cake Posted - Dec 28 2007 : 09:51:58 AM
The automatic charger is automatic, the other one is not.

The automatic charger is better because of this.
Rizwan Posted - Dec 24 2007 : 04:03:36 AM
hi,

can u please tell me what is the difference between the Automatic Lead Acid battery charger and "Car Battery Charger" which is given on the following link:

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/charger1.asp

i am asking about the current rating i.e Automatic charger can provide up to 5A current, as mentioned in an earlier post, how much current does Car battery charger provide? Does it charge the battery faster than automatic charger?

and also guide me which charger is better
thanx!
Rizwan Posted - Dec 23 2007 : 1:54:10 PM
thanx a lot for the help!
Aaron Cake Posted - Dec 23 2007 : 10:18:41 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Rizwan

Do i have to wait until the battery is fully charged to set the charge voltage?

Yes.

quote:

if yes then for the first time, how would i know that now the battery is fully charged?

Measure it with a meter. Your battery will come with a charge voltage either stamped on the case or in the datasheet.

quote:

or i can just connect the battery, switch on the charger and measure the voltage on output terminals (which should be 13.8V for 12V battery) and then wait until LED gets ON?

You will need to adjust the pot initially regardless. Your finish charge voltage may not be 13.8V depending on how you are using the battery.

quote:

and do i have to use the transformer with secondary voltage of 12V or it be slightly higher i.e 13 - 14V?

Use the transformer specified in the parts list.
Rizwan Posted - Dec 23 2007 : 03:25:49 AM
Thanx for the help!

i also want to know how to set the charge voltage. It is explained on the the page where circuit is displayed but i have some confusion.

Do i have to wait until the battery is fully charged to set the charge voltage? if yes then for the first time, how would i know that now the battery is fully charged?

or i can just connect the battery, switch on the charger and measure the voltage on output terminals (which should be 13.8V for 12V battery) and then wait until LED gets ON?

and do i have to use the transformer with secondary voltage of 12V or it be slightly higher i.e 13 - 14V?

thanx!
Aaron Cake Posted - Dec 22 2007 : 10:20:05 AM
It will charge any size battery. But the circuit is limited to about 5A max of current, meaning that it will take a very LONG time to charge high capacity batteries.
Rizwan Posted - Dec 22 2007 : 03:06:28 AM
hi,

can u please tell me the largest rating (in Ah) of a 12V battery this charger can charge.

thanx!
Binary 1011001101 Posted - Dec 13 2007 : 1:37:16 PM
There is a link in the quote you posted that links to a topic that explains the circuit, look about a quarter of the way down...
komala Posted - Dec 13 2007 : 09:30:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Cake

Follow the instructions on the page. This topic may also help:

http://www.aaroncake.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5435

sir can you please give me the detailed description about circuit operation of automatic 12v lead acid battery charger and also the functioning of each component.please sir please reply i am doing my enginering project on this kindly help.
mohsin_160 Posted - Nov 23 2007 : 11:36:58 PM
Hi
What is advice abt cuttoff for a 12V Car Battery
Aaron Cake Posted - Nov 14 2007 : 09:46:40 AM
If you want to use an ammeter, then connect it series with the positive output.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000