Undergoing the transformation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WcKdUnAbel
Apprentece

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  12:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick question. Was wondering if you had as detailed a description of when you changed turbos to a GT4088R. I have a 86 s4 and want to go directly to the GT4088R. Was reading through your many pages and just am not clear what needs to be done and what i can leave out from what you did in Phase 1. Thank you very much for any wisdom and help you may provide

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Porting, intake, piping, plumbing, intercooler, complete fuel system, an ECU to control everything, the stock ECU won't do, and doweling. I'm probably missing something, but that's the gist of it.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, a lot of time, money, a good welder and patience.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  10:40:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WcKdUnAbel

Just a quick question. Was wondering if you had as detailed a description of when you changed turbos to a GT4088R. I have a 86 s4 and want to go directly to the GT4088R. Was reading through your many pages and just am not clear what needs to be done and what i can leave out from what you did in Phase 1. Thank you very much for any wisdom and help you may provide

I hate to supply this answer, but if you have to ask, it's best not to attempt the project.

To run a big turbo on the 13B you need an engine that's not worn out, and the secondary systems to support it.

You can start reading at Phase 2, it covers the entire buildup with the GT40R. Keep in mind I went above and beyond on many things...A large turbo upgrade could be simpler. For example, use the TII intake manifolds. Then any turbo kit for the TII bolts right on. As well as any aftermarket intercooler, exhaust, etc.
Go to Top of Page

WcKdUnAbel
Apprentece

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  2:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

I hate to supply this answer, but if you have to ask, it's best not to attempt the project.

To run a big turbo on the 13B you need an engine that's not worn out, and the secondary systems to support it.

You can start reading at Phase 2, it covers the entire buildup with the GT40R. Keep in mind I went above and beyond on many things...A large turbo upgrade could be simpler. For example, use the TII intake manifolds. Then any turbo kit for the TII bolts right on. As well as any aftermarket intercooler, exhaust, etc.

Well the engine itself has 140k miles on it. but i aleready have it stripped out of the car and almost torn apart "have to find a 54mm socket to get the flywheel off". I plan on completely rebuilding the engine as well. I have a great place to work on everything and plenty of time, and a little bit of money to spare. Plenty of tools to do the job as well. so i figured why not go for gold and just put the big turbo on there.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  12:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The biggest I have is a 32mm ground down to be thinner to fit an input shaft nut.

Go to Top of Page

WcKdUnAbel
Apprentece

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  01:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yerboogieman

The biggest I have is a 32mm ground down to be thinner to fit an input shaft nut.

Thanks. i found one at Northern tool and Equipment for $13 so it wasnt bad
Go to Top of Page

WcKdUnAbel
Apprentece

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  6:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i might just go with the TII turbo. but since i already have the engine pulled apart can i get rid of the emisions and port it as well?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  10:46:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
That's a big difference, going from a turbo like the GT40R to the stock turbo. Found out how much work it takes to upgrade?

There's not much point in porting the engine to run the stock turbo. Doing so is just going to reduce midrange and low end even more drastically, especially with the aux ports open all the time. Emissions removal is likely going to have to happen because you won't be able to use the emissions system once you put the TII intake onto the NA engine, at least not without a good amount of work.
Go to Top of Page

WcKdUnAbel
Apprentece

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  7:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Cake

That's a big difference, going from a turbo like the GT40R to the stock turbo. Found out how much work it takes to upgrade?

There's not much point in porting the engine to run the stock turbo. Doing so is just going to reduce midrange and low end even more drastically, especially with the aux ports open all the time. Emissions removal is likely going to have to happen because you won't be able to use the emissions system once you put the TII intake onto the NA engine, at least not without a good amount of work.

Well to be honest its not the work load im to concerned about. its how to go about doing the GT40R swap. and all the parts needed to upgrade to that turbo with the NA engine. I understand that the Fuel pump , fuel lines, injectors, ECU, all have to be upgraded, but getting ahold of suck parts and the exact parts needed are a different story. Then tuning the engine...... yea id have to look up a walkthrough to get a baseline then work from there. All in all im not to sure on how to upgrade to the GT40R ive read through your guide and it only loosely explains how to do the TII swap, and the phase 2 is just pics and some captions explaining what was going on at the time, not saying to much on how to go about things and what not, but ive been searching the forums avidly.

Edited by - WcKdUnAbel on Jan 15 2012 7:21:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  11:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
My writeup is not how to perform a TII swap, however. My car is not a TII swapped car, it is a fully custom turbo-NA setup. If you're looking for a writeup on how to perform the standard TII swap, here's a good one:

http://www.rotaryresurrection.com/2ndgen/tech_na_to_turbo2.html

I just googled and found out that my page is the first hit. Neat, but I think I'll need to update the page to make it clear that my turbo-NA guide is NOT a TII swap, and should not be taken as the standard way to make an NA into a TII.

Neither the Phase 1 writeup nor the Phase 2 writeup are intended to be step by step guides to cover how to do the work that I did, they are simply a writeup of my project. Without question they are a major help to someone doing a custom turbo setup but by far, not the only source of info they will need.
Go to Top of Page

WcKdUnAbel
Apprentece

6 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2012 :  2:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you very much ive doing alot of searching and reading and starting to get a better grasp on everything.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000