Snakeskin Green!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2013 :  10:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

As long as I've owned my Insight I've also known that the stock silverstone metallic was the wrong colour. While I won't ever say the car didn't wear it well, it seems every second car in the world is some sort of silver and the Insight deserved better. Of course if I had my choice on the initial purchase I would have gone for citrus yellow, but with so few citrus yellow Insights produced, any Insight purchaser knows it is sometimes a case of accepting what's available.

So for 10 years I've been talking about repainting the car. For the last three years I've been deep into the total restoration of my '76 Mazda Cosmo but at the same time, thinking more and more repainting the Insight. It was a minor collision outside of Dundas Ontario this past spring which made the decision. Apparently I'm crazy enough to take on a total colour change on the daily driver while knee deep in the restoration of my Cosmo.

It took some time to find the perfect green (about 10 years!) but I have found it in the colour "snakeskin green" as used on a limited number of 2008 Vipers. It's a wonderful iridescent lime green with an undertone of subtle gold/yellow. Quite honestly I think it's the perfect colour for an Insight.

I took a 3 day weekend at the end of September to prep the car before it went off to the body shop. In that time I did as much work as I could. The entire car was wet sanded with 600 grit, with Scotch Brite used on all the curved panels, edges and areas like the door sills. All the exterior trim (think A pillar trim above the doors, wheel skirts, rockers, etc.) was removed and areas underneath prepped. The headliner and most of that area of the interior was removed (needed to remove the antenna and rear window squirter). All the door seals, door panels and other bits as well. A few dents and dings were filled and smoothed with glazing compound. It was a LOT of work for a weekend. I then delivered the car to the body shop the following Monday.

This was a proper colour change in that all visible areas of the car were prepped and painted. Bumpers and fenders were removed and painted, under the hood was painted, hatch removed and painted. The only compromise I made was to leave the rear quarter windows and windshield installed. The rubber seals were pulled away from th body and taped to the windows, then the glass was masked. Additionally, the engine bay remains silver as pulling the drivetrain was a bit beyond what I wanted to do. The shop (Fine Touch Collision in London Ontario) did a superb job in the final prep and spraying of such a challenging colour. The metallic is even without any hit of blotches nor tiger striping.

Compared to the silverstone metallic (note the damage to the drivers door which started this whole adventure) I couldn't be more happy! It's a beautiful colour, ready to show off all its variation and shading as the light changes. There's a depth to the car now that just sucks your eyeballs in. The Insight has always attracted plenty of attention. Now however, people driving by stop to look and pedestrians swivel their heads as I go by.

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2013 :  9:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I like it. I faintly remember you wanted to paint it a lime green. When I repainted the top of my Suburban white, it took roughly 13 hours of work, split between 3 days.

I'm still curious about TINA.

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2013 :  10:23:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I tried to get as much work done in that 3 day period I could but near the end of Sunday it began to rain. Not much I could do at that point since it was in my driveway. This was just as I was removing the tail lights and was about to remove the rear bumper. So it went to the body shop with the bumpers installed and it was up to them to remove and prep the edges.

As for Tina, it's nothing catastrophic. As in the car still exists and is drivable but because fixing it would require pulling the engine I decided to just not drive the car this summer and instead fix it over the winter. Didn't want to mess up my momentum with the Cosmo now that I'm actually working on stuff I enjoy. Of course a few weeks ago another issue cropped up which will most likely be legal battle. Someone damaged the car as it was in my driveway and won't take responsibility for the damages. Can't talk about that one until it's settled.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2013 :  12:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Cake

I tried to get as much work done in that 3 day period I could but near the end of Sunday it began to rain. Not much I could do at that point since it was in my driveway. This was just as I was removing the tail lights and was about to remove the rear bumper. So it went to the body shop with the bumpers installed and it was up to them to remove and prep the edges.

As for Tina, it's nothing catastrophic. As in the car still exists and is drivable but because fixing it would require pulling the engine I decided to just not drive the car this summer and instead fix it over the winter. Didn't want to mess up my momentum with the Cosmo now that I'm actually working on stuff I enjoy. Of course a few weeks ago another issue cropped up which will most likely be legal battle. Someone damaged the car as it was in my driveway and won't take responsibility for the damages. Can't talk about that one until it's settled.

That's the part I want to know most about lol. I remember you had to remove the engine because of a bad seal awhile back. Oh! and you'll never guess what I found. Nerdy Aaron? Sorry, it's been awhile since I've given you crap.

Download Attachment: me.jpg
11.14 KB

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

Edited by - Yerboogieman on Dec 10 2013 12:45:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  10:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Nerdy Aaron? I'd be more concerned about the fact you seem to have archived the image somehow. I have no idea nor do I want to know what you do with it at night.

I'll be fixing the car in the spring at this point unless a spot frees up in my shop however that is looking unlikely over the winter. As for the legal battle, I'm sure it will all be documented on my website as a learning experience for how others should and should not proceed in a similar situation. Just I can't get into really any detail until it is settled, win or lose.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2013 :  4:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No it's on the website still. Joke factor = gone.

Ever consider buying a 2-post lift? When you need to work on another project, just put one on the lift and another beneath it. Any idea when the next video of the Cosmo will be out?

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2013 :  10:21:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, I can't find that picture on the web server.

As for the next Cosmo video, who knows. The Vintage Air install is taking way longer than I anticipated and not only that, but there is quite a lot involved and many details. Thinking about it, the install touches almost every system in the car, involves a lot of work under the dash, etc. Plus the interruptions. That said, we might be looking at a Festivus miracle.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  5:50:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If I found it then surely you can find it.

I want to hear the thing run already. What was the factory color on this? Have you ever checked the VIN?

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2013 :  10:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Considering the web server is a local drive to me (drive J for the record) I would think I could find it if it's there. I checked all the spots where it likely would be and don't see any files by that name or date.

I believe the Cosmo was a goldish colour, based on the paint in the engine bay. As for the VIN, I haven't done anything with it but once I am bored, will get some history on the vehicle.

Technically it could run right now. But what's the point of cranking it up only to have it sit another year while it's being worked on.
Go to Top of Page

eze
Apprentice

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2013 :  10:22:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLAS

Life is like a box of farkles
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2013 :  11:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you want, I can do a carfax/NADA thing on it. Email me, if you would like.

And Merry Christmas, eze.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2013 :  10:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't need a Carfax. I can have the VIN checked without too much trouble.
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2013 :  7:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Cake

Don't need a Carfax. I can have the VIN checked without too much trouble.

It's the same thing.

Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2014 :  2:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It actually isn't. Carfax has some info the Ministry Of Transport doesn't have, and vice versa. Without going into too much detail I have access to the same records the police do which have a load more stuff than CarFax can ever dream of.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000