Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  08:35:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While the battery is charging, Q2 is turned off. As the battery voltage rises, so also does the pot wiper. When the wiper voltage reaches about 6.4V (D3 + Q2 gate voltage drop) Q2 will turn on. That pulls down the triac gate voltage and stops it turning on.

So R2 is set so its wiper voltage is about 6.4V when the battery is charged to 13.8V. So it controls the battery voltage at which the charger stops charging.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  10:02:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
You're making arbitrary changes to the circuit so it's no wonder it doesn't work.

Follow the instructions on the page:
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/charger2.asp

Step 1 in the notes tells you how to adjust the circuit and as mentioned, there must be a battery (or equivalent load) at the output to do so.
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2014 :  1:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he fits the capacitor and then adjusts for charging voltage, he won't have to continuously monitor the battery voltage during its first time use.

It's a sensible addition that should have been included in the original circuit.
Go to Top of Page

kaycee
Apprentece

Philippines
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  06:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can I prove that the battery is charging? Thank you pebe and aaron cake for helping. :)
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  09:35:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When charging, the LED will be lit very dimly - if at all.
When charged, the LED will be lit normally.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2014 :  09:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kaycee

How can I prove that the battery is charging? Thank you pebe and aaron cake for helping. :)

Measure the voltage. It should rise slowly.
Go to Top of Page

kaycee
Apprentece

Philippines
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  10:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I already made the circuit in the pcb, the output of the original circuit is 9 something but when i put 100uF cap across the output, it is 13 something. How did this happened? How will I explain that the input is only 12V but the output is 13V??

Also,the LED doesn't light. When will the LED turn on? Thank you again. Thank you very much.:))
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2014 :  12:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The peak voltage of your transformer is 1.4 x 12VRMS = 16.8V. So allowing for the voltage drop of D1 and Q1, the voltage your reading is pretty much what I would expect.

Re the LED not lighting. Short out anode and cathode of Q2 to ensure that the LED is workjng correctly. If OK, look again at my post of March 19. It's not lit because Q1 is still trying to charge the cap. Have you adjusted R2 correctly? Turn R2 so its slider goes toward the end that's connected to R1, then wait a few seconds for the cap to discharge. Will the LED now light. If not, measure the voltage across the 100µF cap. What is that voltage?
Go to Top of Page

kaycee
Apprentece

Philippines
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  05:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont know when to adjust R2. :(

I will short out the anode and cathode of Q2 and i will turn on the charger connected to the 220V?
Go to Top of Page

kaycee
Apprentece

Philippines
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  06:24:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I already shorted the anode and cathode, the LED blinked only.
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  07:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The LED should not just blink. It should stay lit as long as you are shorting the bottom end of R6 to ground. Does it?
Go to Top of Page

kaycee
Apprentece

Philippines
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  09:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought you said I'm going to short anode and cathode of Q2? Am I supposed to short that or not? Both end of R6 will be shorted and connect it to the ground?
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  10:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ignore what I said about R6. I did not have the circuit in front of me when I replied, and I assumed that R6 connected to Q2 anode, but it does not.

Short out anode and cathode of Q2 as I said before. The LED should stay lit as long as you keep them shorted.
Go to Top of Page

kaycee
Apprentece

Philippines
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  10:51:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what will i do if the LED does not light?
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2014 :  12:38:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it light?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly