Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2015 :  10:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
It was indeed the fibreglass disc which blew up. The disc jammed, then released, and when it spun back up it shattered and a large chunk cut right through the ridge of my nose. Sadly I don't have a scar. The funny thing is that it wasn't even car related but instead I was modifying an old SCSI case to house a SAS LTO drive (no one seems to make single external SAS cases).

Also funny you should mention your steering shaft angle. Mine is basically 90 degrees from the firewall within about 8". So it took a double U joint off the column and a single joint on the rack. Like you, I had to use a support bearing. That's actually what I intend to finish today. Chose a sealed bearing w/grease fitting instead of a heim joint as I've never had much luck with rod ends lasting very long.
Go to Top of Page

S.Bretz
Apprentece

8 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2015 :  2:36:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as the bearing works...

I would probably do the same thing. You have completely different weather conditions up there which requires a good deal of salt to make the streets drivable. That's something I don't have to deal with in Florida and I about 30-45min from the closed beach to salt is not an issue in my case.

Though, if I do have issues with the hiem joint, I suppose I could steal your sealed bearing idea.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  10:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The Cosmo of course won't be driven in the winter but I'm thinking 20 years down the road. I've just never had luck with rod ends lasting very long in any sort of daily applications.

Funny thing about the salt is that there are far more effective ice melters which don't create environmental damage nor corrosion but for some reason the localities continue to use salt. I've always wondered if they knowingly spread corrosive substances on the road, aren't they liable for any damage to my vehicle it creates?
Go to Top of Page

Yerboogieman
Nobel Prize Winner

USA
577 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  03:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Yerboogieman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Such as here in Washington, We haven't used salt in 20-25 years therefore, my Saturns are rust free for the most part. Reading and watching your guys videos and threads makes me want to fix my car. Over the winter the block and head cracked. But I think the head cracking was from water getting into the cylinders and me attempting to start it after it's nap. Off to the junkyard when my tax return comes in.

Sam, did you use the stock throttle cable on your old custom manifold?

If you don't have the time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000