Aaron's Homepage Forum
Aaron's Homepage Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Miscellaneous
 Announcements
 New Project: Aluminum Bicycle Cart

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Insert an Image File (GIF, JPG, JPEG, BMP, ZIP, PNG)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aaron Cake Posted - Mar 01 2011 : 9:38:26 PM
I've just added a new project to the site, an Aluminum Bicycle Cart I made for an epic (not necessarily in distance, but in fun) bicycle trip I took with two friends this past summer. The project writeup includes the construction of the cart, narrative from the trip and numerous threatening references towards the UN (well, maybe not so much with that last one). It was a neat and fun little project.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aaron Cake Posted - Mar 18 2011 : 09:45:20 AM
That's the thing...Showing ads are one thing, but actually charging people to view info others have posted for free is another altogether. If people really don't want to see the ads, they can be turned off through various browser plugins but putting free content behind a paywall; that's not nice. One of the reasons I will never contribute to sites like that, ExpertsExchange (they wanted me when the site first started up 10 or 12 years ago), etc. At least when I put stuff on my own site I can make the layout anything I choose (and I must say, it is better than Instructables), decide whether to show ads or not (I almost never do), etc.
Yerboogieman Posted - Mar 14 2011 : 5:45:17 PM
I have even talked with people who have deleted their accounts because they post up free information, and Instructables charges others to see all of it. I wish it would just go back to the Original, before it was all cluttered, and before the Google search stuff.
Aaron Cake Posted - Mar 12 2011 : 10:39:45 AM
It was actually a bit of a pain. I had to contact the webmaster and request account deletion.

It could be such a good site but the awkward navigation, ad overload (my CPU runs at 100% anytime I have an Instructables page open) and the very limited viewing to non-members basically kills it. I don't understand why webmasters restrict non-member accounts so much. All they are doing is discouraging people from joining.
Yerboogieman Posted - Mar 07 2011 : 11:50:24 PM
I rarely go on there anymore because even with a membership it sucks. I made you an account, but you got rid of it. Somehow without the password.
Aaron Cake Posted - Mar 05 2011 : 10:29:05 AM
I looked around on Instructables and there are a bunch of bike carts. Most of them are kind of junk box projects though. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's not really want I had intended to build. I'd put up against any commercial product, after I fix the tow bar issue, of course.

What's interesting about most bike carts is that they are made of steel tubing and very heavy. Not sure why that is unless the slightly higher cost of welding aluminum dissuades manufacturers from making a better product.

Instructables is infuriating to browse. Without a membership you can't see half the pictures.
Yerboogieman Posted - Mar 03 2011 : 02:01:01 AM
Interesting read. Read up instructables. They have tons of trailers with cool contraptions that work well and eliminate a lot of those problems.

Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000