Usb module hum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  01:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hai . I built an amplifier. details are as follows. a 12-0-12 5a transformer, power supply board with dual polarity output. A TDA 2030 sterio board 30 30w using four ICs , sterio tone control board using two ne5532 and a usb module that reads pendrive- memory card and fm. Everything is working fine . But usb module is causing a slightly high pitched hum. It goes away when disconnecting power to the USB module. It works on 5v supply. I changed the 7805 voltage regulator , connected it to the 12v part of main amplifier power supply. ( power supply board has three different outputs. Unregulated 12v dual for 2030 board( multimeter reads 14v dual since its not regulated), 15v regulated dual supply for ne5532( reads 14vdual even though 7815&7915 since 12v dual transformer) , and another 12v which then connects to regulator for USB module. I connected secondary of transfor to inputs of the inputs of these power supplies. The hum is just like some guitar amps that we can hear when no music playing at highest volume. I'm planning to add a powered subwoofer to output of 5532 preamp board. I think it causes loud hum in subwoofer since its low frequency. ( can hear hum only when the volume is high and USB POWER is connected. I didn't used a star ground on chassis. I don't ml know how to make a star ground. Please help.

Dany

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  01:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hum is coming from speakers. Not mechanical

Dany
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  11:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There is a ground loop between the speakers and USB output. Are the speakers tied to Earth ground?
Go to Top of Page

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2016 :  4:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No . Amplifier is of tda2030 in bridge. Speaker wires ( ve and -ve) comes straight to the output of 2030. One wire to one 2030 and the other wire to another 2030. Output from usb module comes to the input of tone control. Then its output goes to amplifier board. Usb module has remote . When I decrease volume using remote and increase it in tone control, hum increases. And when I increase volume in remote and decrease it in tone control, hum decreases.

Dany
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2016 :  10:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the USB module is producing the hum. In which case it could be picking it up from any source. Is the USB cable shielded? Is the module shielded? You can try isolating the USB power wires and putting a filtering capacitor in parallel.

Maybe the ground connection from the USB module to the tone control is bad.

Oh, another thing. Is the computer properly grounded? Multiple floating grounds produced by switching supplies can be a hum nightmare.
Go to Top of Page

Ashirdaniel
Apprentice

India
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  06:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Ashirdaniel an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Usb module is not shielded. I will try that

Dany
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000