Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 63

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:20:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the welder's output voltage is 48V, then a 12V battery inverter will take about 1,920A from the battery. It would be a battery the size of a bus. The wires would be as big as your wrist. Ridiculous.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  09:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think he is referring to using the generator powered welder as a backup power source. At least, I hope he is.

Depending on how the welder is configured, it may be very easy to get a 120V or 240V output as most generator welders already have this capability built in but don't necessarily connect it to the output of the case.

Your welder's output is going to be pure DC so just connecting a transformer to it's output isn't going to work, and an inverter is bit impractical.
Go to Top of Page

cyclopsitis
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  4:47:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cyclopsitis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by audioguru

The wires would be as big as your wrist. Ridiculous.

1920A WOW! you'd have to find a few huge cables each like 1500mcm or more. By that time you might aswell use a heavy duty buss bar! HA-ha! OUCH!
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  9:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A guy on the web made the world's most powerful audio amplifier with vacuum tubes from a high power radio transmitter. He blew the mains transformer for his whole neighbourhood while testing the amplifier with a railroad track as its load resistor.
Go to Top of Page

CurrentOverflow
Mad Scientist

Canada
311 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  12:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Click to see CurrentOverflow's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ha! Now thats a story to pass on :)

~Mike~
Theres 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't
Go to Top of Page

Binary 1011001101
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  03:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds very intresting, got the website address?
Go to Top of Page

baniru1983

Uganda
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  10:08:12 AM  Show Profile  Send baniru1983 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hi mr james could u plz give me achance that i can tok 2 u?
Go to Top of Page

cyclopsitis
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  5:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see cyclopsitis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is that for real!? The average pole mount transformer in consumer areas are rated at 25KVA and if the transformer are in a bank (like most are in the states because their system is better) it would be in three phase so 75KVA that’s allot of amps! He would have been taking more then 208A that’s insane! The average size of customer service lines is 6AWG... how did he pull that much power? It must have happened in Canada because our system is known for being designed dumb and having unbalanced loads on the power grid! That’s insane! Can you give us the article??

K
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  9:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't find the huge power amplifier on the web anymore. It used transmitting tubes from a powerful radio station. Their filaments used many amps of current. The high voltage power supply used many amps of current when it was heating the train tracks that were its load.
Go to Top of Page

Binary 1011001101
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  02:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The person must have bypassed the main fuse in his house, which is illegal. If there are not any pictures I dont think I can believe that!
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  09:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Guys, in order to keep this topic useful (it has over 60,000 views!) please keep it on topic. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

tim
Mad Scientist

198 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  2:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree lets keep it ALL inverter related. is there anyone out there that could find out a specific transistor number cross reference? the number is KSP44-013, ALL I COME UP WITH IS KSP44 WHICH IS NOT WHAT THIS IS , AND ITS OUT OF AN INVERTER AND THE RESISTORS COME OF IT AND GO TO THE GATE OF THE MOSFET . ITS JUST ONE OF THOSE LITTLE BLACK TRANSISTORS WITH 3 LEGS. IM NOT SURE BUT IT MIGHT BE AN NPN.
Go to Top of Page

tim
Mad Scientist

198 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  2:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHEN THE MOSFET IS SHORTED IN ANY WAY THAT TRANSISTOR BLOWS UP.
Go to Top of Page

Binary 1011001101
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  4:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure it is the KSP44-013 If I type it in google it comes up with a link to this site!, Somehow I think it is the KSP44. Normally under the first code on the transistor there are some more numbers under, is the 013 them?
Go to Top of Page

tim
Mad Scientist

198 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2007 :  4:13:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes the transistor says ksp44 then under is a - 013
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: