Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 63

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  1:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The circuit is a transistor multivibrator. Look in Google but there are a few circuits shown with backwards capacitors (like this one).
Please keep Muhammed out of here.
Please turn off the CAPITALS.
Go to Top of Page

almaleky

2 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  4:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok,i willnot write capital..
sorry,prophet muhammad is my leader and prophet .he is in my heart.this is freedom!!!

very thanks the circuit start to be unterstanded

I LOVE PROPHET MUHAMMAD
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  8:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please keep Muhammad away from here.
We talk about electronic circuits, not about your religion.
Go to Top of Page

julep

3 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  11:02:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi,moderator,hi audioguru, im julep from Philippines, i want to ask for your help, i have read a lot in this forum about inverter, and it seems that you have i broad knowledge about this, i would like to ask if there is a working circuit of inverter here,12vdc-230ac atleast 500watts, it doesn't matter to me what output waveform it produce. i planned it also to have it a low battery cut-off device. i have search the entire net, and i'm afraid to gamble in making it,it will waste my budget. Please help me to have a working circuit. thankyou in advance.. and Godspeed...
Go to Top of Page

julep

3 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  11:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi moderator, hi audioguru.. you can email me at julep_roxas@yahoo.com regarding with my above request. i really need your help.. wish u all luck and good health.. thankyou in advance and morepower to your site.. Godspeed...
Go to Top of Page

dragan

2 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2008 :  08:30:48 AM  Show Profile  Send dragan a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
i need convertors 12v=/220v~
Go to Top of Page

gim
Apprentece

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  06:55:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. I am by no means an expert on these things but...

I love the simplicity of this circuit, also its symmetry. It has some imperfections though. As someone else said, the thing is a multivibrator. That is, two oscillators that are interdependent.

One of the problems with this circuit is that there is no way to control the frequency. The impedance of a capacitor decreases as the frequency increases. If the thing oscillates at high frequencies, very high currents will flow through the capacitors. That probably explains the propensity of the capacitors to explode.

It probably also explains why some people have reported low voltages on the output. Iron cored transformers are not designed to work at high frequencies.

I think that someone, with more knowledge than myself, could make a fairly simple modification to this circuit, to make it run at about 60 Hz. That should (I think) solve the other problems.
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  07:21:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gim

I think that someone, with more knowledge than myself, could make a fairly simple modification to this circuit, to make it run at about 60 Hz. That should (I think) solve the other problems.

Don't bother. The circuit is CRAP!
It should have been removed from the board a long time ago!
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2008 :  11:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is only one oscillator, not two. Tt is a multivibrator. Look at it in Google. It probably operates at exactly 60Hz.

The polarity of the capacitors is backwards.

The transistors have avalanche breakdown of their emitter-base junctions (max allowed voltage is 7V) because the capacitors are charged to about 23V then they try to drive the base of the transistor to negative 22V. Therefore the capacitors have a very high discharge current which overheats them even if their polarity is correct.

The transistors do not have enough base current for a powerful inverter so the output power is very low.
Go to Top of Page

gim
Apprentece

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  10:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the detailed analysis.

According to Wikipedia, for a multivibrator, "The period will also depend on any current drawn from the output..."

So maybe it won't run at exactly 60 Hz?

The circuit of this inverter is slightly different from the basic multivibrator, because the +V feed to the collectors of the transistors passes through the load, which is variable.
Go to Top of Page

gim
Apprentece

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  09:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote: Now the schematic is confusing.
D3 and D4 connect to pin 5-and-a-half on the CD4017.

EDIT:
Thanks again Juan for fixing the schematic.

Can someone please direct me to the schematic referred to here? I can't find it. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

gim
Apprentece

5 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  09:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have built a modified square wave inverter according to the schematic I found at http://www.discovercircuits.com/C/co-dctoac.htm (Third circuit in the list).

This inverter works fine, at low power. I have not tried it at high power yet. It does not require a centre tapped transformer. I have used 12amp MTP3055E MOSFETs rather than the 0.5amp BS170s.

Audioguru, if I may ask you a question. In a previous post you stated that the gates of MOSFETs should be fed through a (47 ohm) resistor, to prevent high frequency oscillation. The schematic I have used does not have any such resistors. How necessary are they?
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gim

I have built a modified square wave inverter according to the schematic I found at http://www.discovercircuits.com/C/co-dctoac.htm (Third circuit in the list).

This inverter works fine, at low power. I have not tried it at high power yet. It does not require a centre tapped transformer. I have used 12amp MTP3055E MOSFETs rather than the 0.5amp BS170s.

Audioguru, if I may ask you a question. In a previous post you stated that the gates of MOSFETs should be fed through a (47 ohm) resistor, to prevent high frequency oscillation. The schematic I have used does not have any such resistors. How necessary are they?

The BS170 is a tiny low power Mosfet. Its input capacitance is only 60pF max so it probably doesn't oscillate without a resistor in series with its gate.

Real power Mosfets have an input capacitance almost 200 times higher so they oscillate at a high frequency if the gate doesn't have a series resistor mounted closeby.
Go to Top of Page

4396459saad

Pakistan
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2008 :  11:22:02 AM  Show Profile  Send 4396459saad a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi i am making a ups for my project
i need a ckt diag of a ups that could drive a load of 100w for 10min

SAAD SARDAR
Go to Top of Page

yunusu

Rwanda
1 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  11:17:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's possible to adjast the output fo an inverter
by using a simple variable resustor in it's
oscilator ? how

Hello