Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 63

JUAN DELA CRUZ
Mad Scientist

Philippines
476 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  1:40:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Addition above....

I will be using a 12V from a deep cycle battery.

juan dela cruz
Penniless INVENTOR
Go to Top of Page

Bearded Blunder

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  11:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for once somone who doesn't want to replace Sizewell B with Arron's circuit and a huge bank of batteries...

At the start of this long long thread I thought I was on to something. What I'm actually after is a simple ideally efficient low power inverter circuit.

The idea is to power a maximum of 30W high power mains voltage LED lighting in an off grid situation, probably solar powered hence "ideally efficient", not wanting to buy an extra half acre of solar panel to offset losses. I think even a "fixed" version of the original circuit is hence ruled out in favour of something with a MOSFET output stage before the transformer.

The expedient & boring bodge would be to uncase one of the many commercial car accessory socket inverters rated around 100W, however most if not all of these use active cooling, and fans won't work too well once the inverter is housed inside a sealed IP65 luminaire along with the lamp.

Given the size of the load the transformer wouldn't appear to be a problem, being relatively light duty, there are numerous suitable off the shelf.

So does anyone have a schematic they could post that would fit my needs?
Go to Top of Page

pebe
Nobel Prize Winner

United Kingdom
1078 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  02:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As LEDs are inherently low voltage devices, is there any way you could disassemble the lighting unit and supply the LEDs from low voltage DC?
Go to Top of Page

Bearded Blunder

2 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2011 :  08:50:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be a royal PITA to disassemble, modify, and reassemble, a 5 or 6 foot fluorescent tube replacement, plus lots of time cutting pcb tracks & adding series resistors to small groups, it *may be* possible perhaps, but far from easy.
Go to Top of Page

Kultus

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  12:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have this Circuit up and running with a rewound MOT as my transformer, I live in Australia and we have 240volt AC mains power, I need to know how to modify this to suit 240volts, I have tried to adjust resistors and to wind more and less winds onto the MOT with no luck.. can anyone help me with this ?

Thanks all for any help given

Never give up, it only takes one crazy Idea to go right, and your not so crazy any more - Kultus 2011

http://www.youtube.com/TheKultus

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i442/Kultus01/
Go to Top of Page

NCC74656

1 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  10:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Send NCC74656 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, im not sure if this is still active but I would like some input on what parts to use for an inverter i need. I need to build a 12V to 110V at 45A. This is going to be used to power a 40A air compressor, i added 5A as padding but please tell me if i need more. My trucks alternator puts out 175A or 100A at idle and i have a 1800CA battery. I have done my share of soldering and such but never any DIY projects like this. I am looking for input on things that may go wrong and on what size caps/resistors to use to get this amperage. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  07:57:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NCC74656
I need to build a 12V to 110V at 45A. This is going to be used to power a 40A air compressor, i added 5A as padding but please tell me if i need more. My trucks alternator puts out 175A or 100A at idle and i have a 1800CA battery.

You forgot to calculate how much current the inverter will draw.
110V at 45A is 4950W. The inverter will heat with about 1000W so the total power required is 5950W.
The 12V current is 496A. The current in hundreds of transistors and the transformer is also 496A. You might need use train tracks for the 12V wires.

Instead of an inverter you should use a 110V generator powered by a gasoline engine.
Go to Top of Page

interland

Lebanon
1 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  06:04:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see interland's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Somebody can tel me how to decide the cycle at tr output for this design ,50Hz,or 60 Hz
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  12:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by interland

Somebody can tel me how to decide the cycle at tr output for this design ,50Hz,or 60 Hz

The original extremely simple circuit does not work properly.
Its output voltage and power are very low. Its capacitors blow up. Its frequency is not accurate.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  10:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NCC74656

Hello, im not sure if this is still active but I would like some input on what parts to use for an inverter i need. I need to build a 12V to 110V at 45A. This is going to be used to power a 40A air compressor, i added 5A as padding but please tell me if i need more. My trucks alternator puts out 175A or 100A at idle and i have a 1800CA battery. I have done my share of soldering and such but never any DIY projects like this. I am looking for input on things that may go wrong and on what size caps/resistors to use to get this amperage. thanks.

Run your compressor with a gasoline engine. Buy an inexpensive 5HP engine, then an unloader valve from any compressor shop.

45A at 120V is 5400W! There isn't even a 120V outlet spec'd to supply that. My compressor takes the same wattage but runs on 240V. All 5 HP motors will be 240V or greater.
Go to Top of Page

mover

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  7:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious if this inverter circuit would hold up to a computer and a 1 gallon air compressor while on a 50 amp sealed lead acid battery.I would like some info on this subject.
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  12:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This inverter circuit is too simple so it does not work properly.
It will not power a computer and it will not power an air compressor.
It might power a 25W light bulb dimly.
Go to Top of Page

DjMikiRia

Japan
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2012 :  1:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit DjMikiRia's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tried making this, it did work, however since we use 100 volts 60Hz here in southern Japan it had to be modified. The result was 106 volts @ 90Hz / 425 watts and the transformer did resonate at that frequency so it had difficulty powering any inductance appliances such as power transformers and fans. All else was fine, light bulbs, high speed supplies etc.

Miki Ria
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  10:35:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mover

I'm curious if this inverter circuit would hold up to a computer and a 1 gallon air compressor while on a 50 amp sealed lead acid battery.I would like some info on this subject.

Electrical power is not measured in "gallons", it is measured in "watts". So without knowing how much wattage your one gallon compressor needs (do they even make compressors that small?!), we can't say. But almost certainly, no, it won't work.
Go to Top of Page

harry504

2 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2012 :  03:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I want to ask Mr. audio guru to please upload a tested circuit diagram of 500W inverter. I am using 12V/120A of Lead acid battery and I want to power the Fans & lights which operates at 220V.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000