Random Downtime, Dead Forum, Lost Posts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2005 :  11:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Over the last few days we've had all kinds of problems. Starting early Thursday morning, around 2AM, the server began blue-screening and rebooting. It did this several times Thursday morning until it finally locked up. I discovered this before I left for work at around 8:30AM and rebooted it shortly before 9. Everything seemed fine, until Thursday night when it started again.

Friday morning, it continued. By this time, I had rebooted 30 or 40 times, and at some point, the forum database became corrupted. Yesterday (Friday) at noon, I replaced two cooling fans. The CPU fan had a bad bearing and was spinning very slowly. This would not have been a big problem excet that the case fan directly in front of it had seized solid. Thus the CPU was receiving no cooling, and overheated quickly leading to the crashes. Brand new ball-bearing were used, and now everything seems to be fine.

In order to get the forum going, I had to restore it from backup taken Wednesday at 2AM. Therefore, all posts from that time until Friday at noon are now lost. Sorry about this, but at least I didn't have to go back to last Sunday's FULL backup.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000