Expect Downtime
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - May 04 2006 :  9:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm having problems with the server again. The ASP service keeps randomly hanging. Sometimes I catch it within a Few minutes, sometimes it takes hours. I don't exactly know why, but it has something to do with the database. I'm Currently looking for Solutions and may just have to bite the bullet and go to MySQL instead of Access a little earlier then planned. I seem to have solved it temporarily a few months ago by updating the MDAC and Access drivers to the latest versions though now it seems that solution is not permanete. I do have plans to move to a new server and MySQL but these were plans for months in the future and not something I was going to do any time soon.

This is coming at the worst possible time as I do not have the time/money right now to invest. I'm finally at a point with the RX-7 that I can do some serious work and will not put up with another delay in a project that is already going on 3.5 years. So if the site goes down, I'm almost ready to just say "Screw it" and reboot the server every day at midnight if I have to.

Another problem is that I am actually working on a major site update right now which significantly changes eveything. This is very time consuming and takes up what little free time I have. To add another component to that will just drag it on for another few months.

That said I do hope that within the next week I can do some preliminary testing on moving the databases to MySQL. If things go well, then at the very least I can move the forum over since that generates most of the database load for the site. Theoretically that could help.

What really needs to be done is to move the site to new hardware running a supported operating system. As much as I love NT4, Internet Information Server 4 is outdated, no longer supported and seems to have data access issues as can be obviously observed by the behaviour of this site. My plan is to get a modern dual processor machine running Windows 2003 server but this is a $3000-$5000 investment. The Google ads are generating income to pay for this upgrade but it will be many months before there is enough. And then there is still the issue of time...

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000