New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 63

snappyt

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  03:15:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone help with this design for a load of 480 watts @ 240vac...what is the current draw on a 12 volt battery. Thanks.

XSRE
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  09:20:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snappyt

Anyone help with this design for a load of 480 watts @ 240vac...what is the current draw on a 12 volt battery. Thanks.

You will find several designs for suitable circuits in this thread already. Just read through it.

To make 480W @ 240VAC out of 12V, you need a minimum of 40A. But the inverter will not be 100% efficient so figure 20-50% on top of that.
Go to Top of Page

Sobat
Apprentece

Indonesia
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  01:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sobat's Homepage  Send Sobat a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Master Audioguru

I want to build inverter 12Vdc - 220Vac 500 watt, the circuit from
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/feedback-comments/11385-schematic-posting-problem-500watts_inverter-small.png?d=1170826950
modification by Audioguru, thanks to u'r idea
but i have problem to build it, i dont know what ampere i can use for the transformer. can i increase the wattage to 3000 watt, please show me how..

Thanks a lot
Go to Top of Page

cyclopsitis
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
732 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  01:56:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see cyclopsitis's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We can't see your link because we don't have a username and PW. If you read through some of this topic you'll find all the info you need for your prject.

Master cyclops haha
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  11:56:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3000W is way too much for an inverter. If you use only 12V then its battery current will be 300A!
You would need to have a large room full of batteries to power it for a short time. Then it will take 1 week the charge the batteries.
Its wiring must be huge and it would need 48 output transistors and many driver transistors.
Its transformer would cost a fortune.
Go to Top of Page

snappyt

2 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  5:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help....Aaron Cake

XSRE
Go to Top of Page

Sobat
Apprentece

Indonesia
5 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  08:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sobat's Homepage  Send Sobat a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Master AudioGuru

It's me again, this time i want to build inverter 12 volt to 120 volt, but i can't find HEP 154 silicon dioda in my country, can i change with another diode, what tipe diode can i use for this circuit.
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/inverter.asp

Thank you Very much
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  09:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This inverter circuit is too simple to work properly. Its output might be only 25W. Its capacitors are backwards which causes them to explode. Its transistors don't have nearly enough base current and are constantly having reverse breakdown.
Read about it in this long thread.
Go to Top of Page

ogun4ever

1 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  09:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pls i need dc to ac inverter of 20w
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  12:15:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
20W is almost nothing.
This circuit should work.

Download Attachment: 100W inverter.GIF
15.87 KB

Go to Top of Page

tmk3a014

Indonesia
1 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  08:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm sugeng I have some question and i hope some of you can help me to solve my problem,
I want to make inverter that can change 12VDC to 220VAC, please send me the diagram and tge component list. I also want to make an automatic battery charger for 12V battrey but my source is from solar cell please send me the diagram and the component list.
Thank you, my email is mulyadi_sugeng@yahoo.co.id
I hope i can have the diagram and the component list soon.
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Cake
Administrator

Canada
6717 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  09:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Cake's Homepage  Send Aaron Cake an ICQ Message  Send Aaron Cake a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tmk3a014

Hi I'm sugeng I have some question and i hope some of you can help me to solve my problem,
I want to make inverter that can change 12VDC to 220VAC, please send me the diagram and tge component list.

This has been answered several times before in this thread. Just use the appropriate transformer.
Go to Top of Page

mrenjan
Apprentece

India
19 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  09:11:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One Question to AudioGuru.. Is there any advantage of using 2N3055 instead of Mosfet's like IRF540 directly tied to CD 4047. We dont even need the OP-amps since Mosfet requires only less Drive current. Probably the only other change required is in the Transformer side (9-0-9 instead of 12-0-12). I thought the efficiancy of Mosfet is much higher than Transistor since leakage current is less. Not sure whether i am wrong.

Renjan
Go to Top of Page

audioguru
Nobel Prize Winner

Canada
4218 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  10:08:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrenjan

One Question to AudioGuru.. Is there any advantage of using 2N3055 instead of Mosfet's like IRF540 directly tied to CD 4047. We dont even need the OP-amps since Mosfet requires only less Drive current. Probably the only other change required is in the Transformer side (9-0-9 instead of 12-0-12). I thought the efficiancy of Mosfet is much higher than Transistor since leakage current is less. Not sure whether i am wrong.

2N3055 transistors were used in the 100W and 500W inverter because the circuit is very old and 2N3055 transistors atre available in countries that don't have Mosfets. Mosfets are much better.

The IRF540 Mosfet is also getting pretty old since much better Mosfets are available now.

The CD4047 can directly drive two Mosfets in an inverter and the output power depends on their current rating and the size of the heatsink. Cheap Chinese inverters use Mosfets.

Efficiency is determined by how much power is wasted as heat in the transistors when they conduct, not leakage current.
A 2N3055 transistor has a max saturation voltage of 3V at a collector current of 10A and a huge base current of 3.3A. That is 35W of heat for a 100W inverter.
An IRF540 Mosfet has a max saturation voltage of 0.44V at 10A so wastes only 4.4W in a 100W inverter. Better Mosfets would operate cooler and therefore the efficiency would be higher.

If you use a 9-0-9 transformer with Mosfets then with a fully charged battery at 13.8v the output voltage will be 170VAC instead of 115VAC or will be 341VAC instead of 230VAC.

If you use a 12-0-12 transformer with Mosfets and a fully charged battery then the output will be 128VAC instead of 115VAC and will be 256VAC instead of 230VAC.
Go to Top of Page

mrenjan
Apprentece

India
19 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  12:17:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Audioguru for your time.. This is lot of good information. Can you please tell me a better Mosfet for such application ?
I thought there was a 3 V (Drain source)drop when using Mosfet (IRF 540).. So the battery voltage for 13.8 should be taken as 10.8 when doing calculation using Mosfet. Also if we use a ordinary 12-0-12 or 9-0-9 mains transformer,the losses associated also will be high since Primary and secondary is now in the reverse order. Please clarify.

Renjan

Edited by - mrenjan on May 14 2007 07:11:11 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Aaron's Homepage Forum © 1995-2020 AARONCAKE.NET Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000